Shader issue and panda install question

I seem to have come across two questions at the same time just now…

So, I was messing around with the glow-basic example application and threw the following together:

import direct.directbase.DirectStart
from panda3d.core import Filename,Buffer,Shader
from panda3d.core import PandaNode,NodePath
from panda3d.core import AmbientLight,DirectionalLight
from panda3d.core import TextNode,Point3,Vec4
from direct.showbase.DirectObject import DirectObject
from direct.filter.CommonFilters import CommonFilters
from direct.gui.OnscreenText import OnscreenText
from direct.actor.Actor import Actor
import sys,os

class glowTest(DirectObject):
	def __init__(self):
		# Load the cube
		base.setBackgroundColor(0,0,0)
		self.cube = loader.loadModel("assets/models/glowCube.x")
		self.cube.reparentTo(render)

# lighting
		dlight = DirectionalLight('dlight')
		alight = AmbientLight('alight')
		dlnp = render.attachNewNode(dlight) 
		alnp = render.attachNewNode(alight)
		dlight.setColor(Vec4(1.0, 0.7, 0.2, 1))
		alight.setColor(Vec4(0.2, 0.2, 0.2, 1))
		dlnp.setHpr(0, -60, 0) 
		render.setLight(dlnp)
		render.setLight(alnp)

# Bloom filter
		self.filters = CommonFilters(base.win, base.cam)
		self.filters.setBloom(blend=(0,0,0,1), desat=-0.5, intensity=3.0, size=2)

test = glowTest()
run()

(Yes, I know I have way more imports then I need, I was just copying the example)

Question 1:
After using the default controls to manipulate my scene a bit, rotating around the object and whatnot, for maybe 10-15 seconds, the object vanishes. I close the application and this is in the windows shell:

[/code]
:display:gsg:glgsg(error): c:\panda3d-1.7.0\panda\src\glstuff\glGraphicsBuffer_s
rc.cxx, line 989: GL error 1282
:display:gsg:glgsg(error): c:\panda3d-1.7.0\panda\src\glstuff\glGraphicsBuffer_s
[/code]

This brings me to my second question:
I just downloaded Panda 1.7.2 last night, but it’s still using 1.7.0, I was attempting to see if this issue was specific to this version of Panda. Do I just need to uninstall 1.7.0 via add/remove programs or is there a configuration change I can make somewhere?

You just have to make sure that you are running the right version of Python and that the old version of Panda is no longer anywhere on your PATH.

But it’s usually easiest just to completely uninstall the old version. There’s no reason to keep 1.7.0 around any more once you have 1.7.2 installed–the only difference between 1.7.0 and 1.7.2 is bugfixes.

David

Thanks for the quick reply David. Do you happen to know if the issue I described was a known issue on 1.7.0?

I did some more testing, and it’s perfectly fine until my camera is below the object and no light can be seen anymore lighting up the object. Basically, once the screen goes black, the cube object is gone, and the windows error I posted above is displayed when I quit.

If I quit the application right after launching it and don’t have a chance to see this strange bug, then I don’t see that error anymore in the shell.

I don’t know. There were several bugs fixed between 1.7.0 and 1.7.2; but that was a while ago and I don’t remember the details–this might be one of them, or it might be something different.

The error message means that something in Panda has sent an invalid command to the OpenGL stream for some reason.

David