Server maintenance

Excellent! Many thanks go to Steve for his hard work. :slight_smile:

edit, in #2, I meant phpBB2 was upgraded to phpBB3* v 3.0.11

This is awesome! Thank you so much! :smiley:

Excellent work!

One thing Iā€™ve noticed is that the automatic sign-in does not seem to be remembered for very long. Returning to the forum after a few hours, I need to login again.

Thank you very much! Great job!

Hmm, itā€™s set to 3600 seconds (1 hour) but I checked the old server and itā€™s set to the same. Maybe it was not being enforced for some reason on the old server. How long did it used to take for your session to expire?

Is it possible to make navigation (breadcrumbs) as in the previous version? Full path to the current topic at the top.

Congratulations on the new server and forum! :slight_smile:

One problem that Iā€™m seeing is that the Python Reference (the 1.8.0 version, at least; I havenā€™t tried the others, I donā€™t think) seems to be unavailable: on attempting to click through to it, I seem to be presented with a blank page.

Yeah, itā€™s blank. Sorry.

It seems that BuildBot populates this documents, and likely this has something to do with hooking BuildBot up to the new server, as it may be pointing to the old one and/or groups and perms have not been set.

rdb, what do we need to check on to make sure BuildBot is happy?

It used to last for days, weeks even. That (1 hour) setting might be for if you havenā€™t checked on the automatic sign-in box when logging in.

Well, Iā€™ve just fixed the API reference. The BuildBot is another story, Iā€™m still working on it.

As for the automatic sign-in: there was an issue with the cookies at first, but Iā€™ve since fixed it. Try deleting the cookies and trying again.
If that doesnā€™t work, there are several things that phpbb3 does to validate your cookie. For instance, it invalidates your session if your subnet changes, or if your browser changes. Could that be the case?

I tried deleting the cookies and the issue persists.

Years ago, I asked Josh Yelon to disable the phpbb2 session-invalidation if you change subnets, because that sort of thing happened to me several times a day when I navigated from Disney, due to the use of a rotation of proxy servers that happened to reside on different subnets.

Perhaps other people are experiencing a similar problem? Iā€™m not sure how common these kinds of proxies are, though.

David

My ISP also uses such a proxy, although my ISP passes my actual static IP along using the HTTP X_FORWARDED_FOR field, which phpbb3 can be configured to check for (off by default). But itā€™s probably not a big deal anyway, so Iā€™ve just disabled it entirely. It does still validate based on the browser used, though, among other things.

I double-checked that persistent login key expiration is disabled.

I seem to have had a lot of trouble accessing the forum today ā€“ for some reason the page refused to load for some time (hours, I think). I only tried the front page one, I believe, and as I recall it showed the same problem.

Unfortunately I neglected to record the error that I was getting ā€“ I do apologise for that. :confused:

I also seem to find that if I open a page before logging in, log in via another tab, and then refresh the first page, I donā€™t seem to be recognised as logged in on that page. Navigating to the page from the logged-in page seems to work, but is a little inconvenient. I donā€™t intend to suggest that this is at all of high priority, please note ā€“ just reporting what seems to me to be a bug.

[edit]
Oh, and thank you for fixing the API link! It seems to be working properly now. :slight_smile:

I had the same problem today. Then it was suddenly gone and seems to be back again.

How to reproduce:

1. log in
  2. view a thread
  3. Go to index.php

You now should see ā€œLog inā€ in the forums bar

I confirm that those steps seem to reproduce the problem, or one much like it.

Iā€™ve also noticed that you can log in multiple times (in multiple tabs). Each time you get a new session id.

Once again just reporting that the forum was inaccessible to me yesterday; I think that the error was ā€œconnection to the server was resetā€.

Same thing here. I did try ā€˜tracerouteā€™ and it could reach ā€œwww2.panda3d.orgā€ yet the page did not load.