Search an application for PC or IPhone that use Panda3D

Hello everyone,

At first, I want to apologize for my English because I’m living in France and I haven’t a good level in english ^^.

Then, I am on the research an application for PC and Iphone who uses the engine Panda3D because I would like to show to my friends that it’s a very powerful and successful 3D engine. Finally if you know even paying or free applications (I would prefer free),don’t hesitate to tell me it.

Thanks.

go to panda3d.org
There are 3 popular games on homepage.

Thank you for your answer.

I would like to know if the 3D engine works under Androide and under Iphone. If it is the case have you examples of game, please ?

There are no currently-available iPhone or Android games that use Panda3D, sorry. The tools for developing iPhone games using Panda3D are currently incomplete, and the tools for developing Android games are not even started.

David

“The tools for developing iPhone games using Panda3D are currently incomplete”, have you more details about it ? What are exactly the problem encounter and you know when he is finished ?

I was the only developer working on the iPhone port originally. I got it to the proof-of-concept stage, and got a running Panda application on my own iPhone.

But since then I have not had time to continue that development, and no one else has volunteered to do so in my absence. So it remains at that stage. It’s possible to put a Panda application on your iPhone, but it’s not easy; and you’ll have to learn a lot about the underlying system to use it.

If you want to put a Panda application in the App store you’ll have to consider the Apple developer license with appears to forbid languages like Python; so you may need to go with a C+±only approach. That makes this even more complicated.

David

what are the reasons for apple to block the python language, have you an idea?

Wait, did they change their mind again on allowing Python? I thought they allowed it now.

I’ve lost track. The last I remember, which was last year (and which is the most recent thing I can find via Google), the key phrase was: “With Apple’s prior written consent, an Application may use embedded interpreted code in a limited way if such use is solely for providing minor features or functionality.”

That seems to allow using a language like Python to be a minor part of the overall application, but not the primary language the application is written in. Was there another change more recent than this that removed this restriction as well? I’m miffed that apple.com won’t even show me their current agreement without insisting I fork over their measly $99 first.

As to why Apple would insist on such a crazy thing, that’s anyone’s guess. And many people have offered guesses. But it all comes down to money and power, of course.

David

Okay, I’ll feed my sys.stdout to this thread’s pipe :wink:

I’ve been keeping pretty up-to-date on apple news, the last thing I had heard was that somewhere in 2009, apple made a restriction to using non ‘native’ languages (native meaning C/C++/ObjC) stating that they where no longer allowed on the iPhone. (This was said to have been likely pushed by Adobe creating the Flash SDK so that it could export to an native iPhone app)

Later that year (about 3 months after) Apple release a new iPhone SDK and also updated the agreement saying:

In particular, we are relaxing all restrictions on the development tools used to create iOS apps, as long as the resulting apps do not download any code. This should give developers the flexibility they want, while preserving the security we need.

Source: (www.ipodtouchfans.com)

This pretty much means, that as long as panda3d is fully self-contained (all panda3d binaries) and includes the python files with those binaries inside the iPhone app, then there is no problem.

A problem would occur if we tried to make a ‘Panda3d’ application for the iPhone, that was much like a web browser that ran .p3d files.
That would cause issues due to the fact that it downloads code -> Takes away more from the App Store -> Apple loses money -> They ban it.

David, if you’d like to read the Developer Agreement, the EFF has published legal copies that they have received from Nasa (due to them building an iPhone app and some silly lawyer workaround that allowed Nasa to give the Developer Agreement to the EFF legally)
You can find that on the EFF website here:
Apple Developer Agreement - And breakdown of it

Basically:
They will try and sue you for giving the agreement text to anyone else (except Nasa it looks like! :smiley:)

You may only use their SDK to develop applications for the App Store. If they reject your application, putting it on Cydia or any other ‘non-official-appstore’ will make them try and sue you.

No reverse engineering the iPhone, Apple owns it and will sue you if you try.

Apple is allowed to block the use of your application on anyone’s iPhone at any point in time, period.

If something happens for some reason, and you try to sue Apple, if you agree to the Developer Agreement (which you must to develop applications for the iPhone) Apple can only be held responsible for $50 in damages (I am being 100% serious about this too, read the post)

Okay now what did that large chunk of text above mean?
Panda3d on the iPhone is fine.
It’s going to bring content rich applications like many of their high end applications already existing in the app-store to the iPhone.

At most panda3d would get alot of attention from being able to develop iPhone applications, and worst case scenario, Apple builds it’s own ‘official’ 3d engine.

Other game engines such as Unity use custom scripting languages and file formats, and also work on the iPhone.

It all comes down to how it’s implemented, when a iPhone app is packaged for good (to-be-sent-to-apple-for-acceptance) it needs to be fully self-contained, and can download no ‘code’ from the web.
No stuff that controls the game, if it’s ‘acceptable’ content, meaning perhaps levels sent by a http server or so, then it’s fine.

Mainly it sounds to me like Apple is trying to stop App Store competition, it’s a dirty way to do it, it’s what makes the iPhone nice though. :wink:

All of this is soley my opinion, no sueing me if I am wrong or anything :unamused:
Let the development continue yay! :smiley:

Hope this clears some things up at the minimum,
~powerpup118

But the document linked on that page is a bit older than the one I quoted, and it includes the sentence “No interpreted code may be downloaded or used in an Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple’s Documented APIs and built- in interpreter(s).”

That’s the key sentence that first caused so much hand-wringing about Python. “No interpreted code may be … used in an Application.” The clause about downloading is just a distraction here since it says “downloaded or used,” not “downloaded and used”. This is also the sentence that was later relaxed to the sentence I quoted in my post above, which allows interpreted code in certain limited contexts (but still explicitly denies you the right to use an interpreted language as your primary language).

I suppose you can legitimately use Python if you first pass it through a Python compiler (which would mean you’re actually writing in Pyrex or some such). You might be able to make a case that the byte-compiled Python code isn’t technically interpreted code, it’s a virtual machine–but good luck to you, since Apple reserves the sole right to approve or deny your application from the App store without explanation or right of appeal.

David

You’re right that line is wayy too vague as well.

I believe that Unity uses some form of scripting (as a main language) and it was allowed again, so the question here would be how closely does Python relate to Unity’s whatcha-ma-call-it-scripting-language

I’m also pretty sure that development in Unity has no C++ support except for ‘plugins’ for their scripting language.

Pyrex/Cython would be another maybe-feasible options I agree as well, it would certainly be a bit more confusing than standard Python though.

I think the real problem is that Apple is so vague as far as what’s allowed, and what’s disallowed, that there actually are no rules. It’s really just what’s in the best interest of the iPhone to them, Apple has every right to just destroy your hard work or allow your hard work another day when it comes to the iPhone.

Then again I certainly find it still interesting Panda3d on the iPhone, even if the App Store is a-no-go.

Though I admit without the commercial side of it, it does lose some taste.

This is only my personal opinion and all, I think the only way to tell if Panda and the iPhone is allowed would be to well… try it though it’s alot to lose considering hours of back breaking C++ and $99 just to see if we’d get thrown to the curve :unamused:

~powerpup118