Scripting or C++ Programming

I’m pretty novice to the Panda3D and scripting languages but not to the programming in OpenGL, I’m familiar with other low level libraries such as OSG, VTK etc. Even though I have intermedaite programming language background I find it bit difficult to understand to which level we can benefit from Python scripting, at the end can we do all with Py scripting what we already do with C++ ?

It’d would be good to give a real-life example to what I’d like to achieve, I’d like to create line object which has any arbtirary shape (loaded from wavefront format *.obj), say “C” or “U” shaped solid, as child object. From two ends of line object there will be 2 control points from which, depending on which you select if you drag and extended, line and arbitrary shaped object lenthens and you shrinken that control points then the object and arbitrary shape shortens .

Is it possible to achieve that with simply scripting?

you can call Python “script” but Python is not just “script”.
Python can achieve any game logic that C++ can achieve. the main benefit of using Python is ease of realising your logic, so you can finish a prototype in shorter time. the main downside of Python is lower runtime performance than C/C++. so the parts that require complex calculation should be done in C/C++.
there are ways that Python interfaces with C/C++ codes. Python is a good “glue” language that links different parts of a program together, but not a language with high performance.
you can write a simple/small (relative to how fast the CPU is) program in pure Python, but if your program is complex/big, you must use other language for some parts of the program.

Thanks for commenting, that was enlightening.

Interestingly I performed very basic test, since my project won’t include any complex shapes not more complex than C or U shaped objects attached to parent line objects. Rendering of 10K object (cube model object from original Panda SDK folder models/cube ) yields acceptable results 20 FPS. Cube is kinda simple than C or U shaped objects but provides some values for comparison, so far so good

Coming to my second questions (real life example), where I really expect to see the power of scripting languages how can I create control points for the objects in scene, say it more like modifiable gizmo? Can I benefit from Pythnon, if not, to which level I can simplify that process with Python then switching back to C++ for hard coding?

Your guidance will be appreciated!

for the reallife example, what you need is knowledge of Panda3D and 3D graphics, choice of language doesn’t affect whether you can achieve that.
if you are familiar with C++ and know little about Python, it’s easier that you use C++, so you don’t have to learn Panda3D and a new language at the same time.
if you don’t already have knowledge of 3d graphics, it will take you at least weeks to learn and achieve that.

basically the program needs these parts:
1)detection of user input (such as mouse click and movement) and translate the input into a distance in 3D world,
2)scale or transform a 3D object by the distance.
3)use 3D models or 2D shapes to visualize the control points.
part 1 is the more complicated part, there are ways to do it and there are details in it that affect user experience. you can learn to use Panda3d api to translate user input into 3D world or you can do the math in your own program.