Sciboy's errors (Cause i'm no programmer...)

Any help would be appreciated. =)

I am running Debian Unstable, and am compiling with makepanda.py --everything --use-nvidiacg

sciboy@Lappy:~/applications/panda3d-1.0.4$ built/bin/ppython samples/Feature-Tutorials--Joint-Manipulation/Tut-Eve.py 
DirectStart: Starting the game.
enumerate is already present in __builtin__
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "samples/Feature-Tutorials--Joint-Manipulation/Tut-Eve.py", line 13, in ?
    import direct.directbase.DirectStart
  File "/home/sciboy/applications/panda3d-1.0.4/built/direct/../../direct/src/directbase/DirectStart.py", line 3, in ?
    from direct.showbase import ShowBase
  File "/home/sciboy/applications/panda3d-1.0.4/built/direct/../../direct/src/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 9, in ?
    __builtins__["config"] = ConfigConfigureGetConfigConfigShowbase
NameError: name 'ConfigConfigureGetConfigConfigShowbase' is not defined

Hope to get the engine running soon,
Sciboy.

Not sure what’s going on there, but I’m installing debian right now. Maybe once it’s installed, we can work through this together.

• Josh

I’m trying to build under debian. I installed debian 3.0r4, which appears to be the latest version of debian. However, the software versions are very old: python 2.1, for instance, and gcc 2.95. There appears to be a command:

apt-get dist-upgrade

which is supposed to upgrade me to the latest versions of everything, but it seems to be happy with the old versions that I already have.

What am I not getting here?

Ok, you need to change which packages you are using, you are currently using the stable packages or Woody.

In /etc/apt/sources.list
You just need to change “stable” to “unstable” where ever you see it and then dist-upgrade.

That should bring you to the latest versions. =)

eg.

deb ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

Then you can use apt-cache to search for packages eg. the latest kernel…

apt-cache search kernel-image
apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.11-1-386

And if you need to install nvidia after that, you:

apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.11-1-386
module-assistant auto-install nvidia

Enjoy =)

I did that, and apt-get printed out a lot of stuff, really fast. Including what appeared to be lots of error messages, though they scrolled off my screen at an incredible rate.

The most obvious error messages were:

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format

and then finally, apt-get segfaulted. Now, any attempt to run apt-get results in a slew of similar error messages.

Is this a known problem? Is there a way to fix it?

I never experienced such a problem…
I am guessing you used the old installer? Next time i would recommend you use debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ to install.

I have no idea what it is…
After changing your sources.list make sure you run apt-get update before apt-get dist-upgrade.
If all else fails, and don’t want to retry with the other installer, i would think manually updating gzip may help.

packages.debian.org/gzip

I am guessing you used the old installer?

Installer? I downloaded CDs from “linuxiso.org”. I used boot CD 5.

The system appears to have completely corrupted itself, I’m starting over.

Yeah, use the debian-installer i recommended above.
Its what i use and it hasn’t failed me yet. =)

I’m trying the installer now. It’s working MUCH better than the debian install CDs. I can’t imagine why the debian install CDs don’t use the same software.

Mainly cause its still in beta, they don’t advertise it much. =)

My debian install was completely successful. I’m in the process of trying to compile panda.

Ok, I ran into the same ‘flex’ problem that somebody else encountered… proceeding with workaround…

Also, I need to know how to set up the firewall on this thing.

Just finished compiling. It works fine, no errors.

Here’s a question. Is there anything in your built/pandac directory?

sciboy@Lappy:~/applications/panda3d-1.0.4/built/pandac$ dir
__init__.py   input            PandaModules.pyc
__init__.pyc  PandaModules.py  PandaModules.pyz

Cleared the directory and recompiled.

Now working =)
I took a guess from your question on the directory and that your own compilation was successful that doing so would fix things.

I still had to

cp pandatool/src/vrml/vrmlLexer.cxx.prebuilt built/tmp/vrmlLexer.cxx
touch built/tmp/vrmlLexer.cxx 

and

rm built/tmp/lex.yy.c

during the compilation to get it working though.

Thanks for the help. =)