RTS Development and Something More

I’m not being arrogant in anyway what so ever. Try to stop being so rude. :smiley:

This project is far from done and I don’t even care about visuals at the moment because I’m working code; but yet there’s so much criticism on character graphics and things like shadows, etc. If you think for a moment I don’t have things planned for all of that…think again.

Please keep in mind, I started this thread as a digital diary because I thought it would be cool to allow the p3d community to watch this game title shape up from nothing to something.

I did not start this thread for any personal debates. :slight_smile:

I am not trying to win anyone over or steal your “spot light” either.

If you don’t like this project or have an issue with it (or me for that matter)…then don’t follow it. It’s as simple as that. :smiley:

You won’t catch me crashing in on your thread being super rude. I’m more of a positive person than a “party crasher.”

I’m not entirely new to game design or programming, so the one thing I would want most from the P3D community is P3D API knowledge. The better I get at communicating with the engine, the better I can use it.

Best regards

Hi

I enjoy following your posts, I think you are doing great work, keep it going. Maybe TaeZ was just being a little funny with the comment sence he had the little smile face there too, and saying in other words “you show off” since you are doing good work… any way that is what this part of the forum is about “Show Case”, so go ahead and SHOW OFF, Please … ha, It gives a place for everyone to show off a little or a lot, and it’s fun to read and see and to learn what people are doing. Thanks to you and everyone else that has shared their work on this Show Case forum ! :smiley:

Looking really good, Mark. Can’t wait till you “go pro”.

I must admit, I took more time off than I wanted to this month. I started a new exercise program which requires me to workout multiple times a day, so I have to program in between work outs, which are usually several hours apart.

Anyway,

I finally got the AI Builder Menu System working correctly (debugging a large program is a pain). With the basic combat system intact and the AI Builder intact, I can now do what I was so eagerly working towards…

Get back to the “drawing boards.”

In other words, I will now concentrate on writing out the full story, designing all race concepts, create the map of this fantasy world (all the lands and different names), the history of each race as well as the history of the planet and create a time line. I will pretty much be completing the entire game on paper as if this fantasy world really did exist.

I usually hold the basic data in my head and start developing on that until I get to a point where I’m ready to bring “game flow” associated with game play, alive.

Once everything is laid out, I will start bringing level one game play to life; just concentrating on the basic mechanics first. E.g. getting a quest, completing a quest, enemy encounters, destroying enemy structures, etc.

Once level one is finished, I will add the “blackout” to it, so the level is revealed little by little during exploration. I won’t worry about cut scenes, close-ups and narration until way later. Cut scenes won’t look like much anyway since true character texture mats and clothing have not been designed.

Moving away from programming some should revive me a bit. :smiley:

I’m am “tired out”, but it will not be over until the fat panda sings. :laughing:

Image Removed

Bringing a 3D world to life is a whole lot easier once you’ve done it on paper. I now have a picture of the world map and know there are a total of ten races in this fantasy world.

I have placed each race with their mother continent (all continents are named, as well as the world itself). The history of this fantasy world is complete as well. As it stands, the Protagonist Race and the Antagonist Race are both living outside of their True Homeland. Something happened years ago, which drove them both out and left their homelands destroyed.

Years passed and the homelands of those two dominant races are now occupied by other races of this fantasy world, but remnants of the Ancient times still stand as ruins.

What I’m doing now is working on the style of each race, particularly their living style and culture.

The race I’m working on now will live in homes made of straw and leaves, with wood support. This race is going to be a smaller, cute and playful race.

Image Removed

Things are getting interesting. :smiley:

I was thinking about how inserting structures automatically worked with my pathfinding AI. I started moving the Sages around just to confirm there was no issues; it’s flawless.

Image Removed

This building and pathfinding system would be a nice addition as a standalone P3D community file. Such a system would allow a user to just concentrate on the graphics of their models/actors, insert them into the runtime and have object collision and pathfinding just work.

Image Removed

Additionally, P3D’s build in collision system usage is next to none with this logic system, so it’s extremely fast. It’s something for me to consider later anyway. I’ll most likely be working on this game for the majority of this year, so I won’t be able to produce a standalone anytime soon.

Honestly… I believe I can re-write the entire system later and make it even faster. :slight_smile:

I’m going to get the Quest Log Menus out of the way now. I am finally approaching that point where the major parts are coded (at least for now).

Image Removed

After I finish the Quest Log Menus I will go back and check my invalid move for cursor placement; there could possible be a small issue hiding there.

After that, I want to add the “blackout” to the level, so exploration will reveal the level bit by bit.

At that point in time, I can start doing face maps and texture maps for currently finished Actor types. I will also finish animations for the combat system and get that looking worth something.

I will also start adding in sound effects for the Work type Actors and create those missing tools that should be in their hands while working.

It’s going to be a slow steady process from here on out but I’m going to keep “chipping” away at it and sooner or later, I’ll have a well completed game with a fully completed level one.

(Minus some level and GUI graphics. I won’t worry about completing all visuals just yet)

I was taking a break the other day and from out of nowhere I remembered a technique I saw in a video game years ago (PS1), which involved level exploration bit by bit.

This technique wasn’t like the old school warcrafts where the level is mostly black and reveal itself little by little. That’s what I was going to do, but…

There is something much better and much more fun (and it creates a better level exploration effect).

That’s what happens after years go by… You tend to forget some of the better techniques ever used in a game and a lot of the best effects first surfaced in games of the past.

Implementing this new idea will not be an issue at all and will not harm the frame rate in anyway. It will also be much faster to code.

The player will be able to see the entire level, but they will not be able to see the locations of locations.

What I want to do is create a special “Search” feature while exploring. I can’t remember the game which used a similar feature, but I remember how cool it was and how fun it made exploring.

At this time, I’m going to continue with creating Texture Maps for characters since I have made up my mind on which way to go as far as bit by bit level exploration. :slight_smile:

Image Removed

I haven’t done the eyelashes yet, so ignore those.

Image Removed

I noticed the makeup on this model will diminish/overlap with another color while changing angles (eye area).

I have some theories on why this could be happening but if anyone knows for sure why it’s happening…I would appreciate your response.

In the mean time, I’m gong to do the eyelashes, teeth and tongue. Then I’ll come back to the eye makeup and see what I can do to avoid the color over lapping/diminishing on angle change.

PS,

That’s a real-time engine shot… Not a CGI render.

My theory was correct…there wasn’t and issue with color distortion; my character’s eyelashes which were two sided, converted back to one sided…so the transparency was causing the weird visual.

Image Removed

It’s much easier to do characters using a PC tablet which has a pressure touch display (which is good for shading textures). I have a PC Tablet, but it does not have a digital touch display, so I have to do things the hard way; which takes more time and the results are not as sharp.

Oh well… You can’t let tough work scare you off. :slight_smile:

Hair is not easy to create. For starters… How many polygons do you wish to use for the object? Secondly, how smooth do you wish for the object to look? (which is directly tied to vertice count)

If you’re doing a low polygon model…you’re not going to get too smooth…that’s for sure. That’s the price you pay for doing an RTS style game. :laughing:

Image Removed

Still working on it. :slight_smile:

That color looks a little dull… (but I know why. It’s an issue I’m trying to work out)

Man you’re efficient. :smiley: Are you working alone on this game? Also, those are some saggy tits. I hope there won’t be naked characters in your game.

Low polygon model…can’t be helped (plus REAL breasts do drop with no bra). :smiley:

It’s not about the characters’ nude look because they will have on outfits. :wink:

You do know, not every game’s graphics are designed for super realistic, right?

Look at this:

Not a lot of skin detail at all…in fact, it looks like a solid color; but the character looks good; somewhat anime looking. Her cloths, eyes and hair sets the model off. Remove the dress and you have even less.

Graphics go from super realistic, semi realistic, medium, anime and comical. Some are even given a special style (like world of warcraft).

If I were to remove the bump mapping from my actors (which is a “drawn” style I like to use), their skin would be just as solid color looking as Alice’s.

There’s no wrong way to do it…it just depends on what you’re look for and the type of game. You won’t find any RTS style games with super “duper” high polygon visuals, unless it’s going to run at 20 fps (you might find a couple like that).

It wouldn’t be any problem for me to create super “duper” visuals, but not with this RTS game…just can’t do it with this type.

Now if I was doing a hardcore slasher… That would be different. I would put the detail on the mesh and still finish around 2 to 2.5 K vertice. :slight_smile:

PS,

Having some fun playing Majesty 2. The game runs as low as 30 fps on my fastest PC; but that’s at the most intense moments and when there’s a lot more buildings. The game’s characters are cheap, but still the fps takes a huge hit on a good system.

That’s why you have to becareful while doing the RTS games.

Hehe. I had a small crush on Alice character when the game came out. :smiley: Btw, I wasn’t trying to criticize your modeling skills. It was just a joke. I understand that boob shape doesn’t really matter for a strategy game.

Actually, I took it as a positive feed back remark. :smiley:

I could do graphics like this:

:laughing:

Doesn’t look so hot…but that game gets over 600 actors on screen! That’s what I call keeping performance in mind. :slight_smile:

The cloths really make those blocky characters look good though. :smiley:

I like your progress and persitance, keep it up and youll have your game done in no time :wink:.

About the character models.
I am also a low poly fan, and exactly for the same reason -> performance.

I try to keep my chars somewhere around 1000 triangles. A single texture and no normal maps.

[Models by Enc)

Anime style… Cool. :smiley:

Your character is very similar to the ones in a game I played in the past. It was either a PS1 or PS2 game; can’t remember the name. It was an RPG.

Just realized I forgot to add the tongue bone for the Protagonist Race. :frowning:

Now I have to go back an insert those for a few files (not hard).

Then I have to re-export animations and re-scale.

Then I’ll come back to basic character texturing and see if I can get the first outfit on.

I’m starting with military types first. Since my game will randomlize characters and appearance, there is no permanent look for a character.

Image Removed

I like the subtle bump mapping… Looks much better than solid color skin. :smiley: That is “stylized”; you won’t find a “draw” detail anywhere else. You only see sketched and shaded, which is the usual way to create bump maps for body detailing.

There are some changes I wish to make in the bump mapping, but I’ll get to that when I get to it.

The current Actor polygon level should do just fine for this RTS.

Images Removed

:laughing:

Near the end of this project (long ways from), I will eventually do the option menu. If a “gamer” feels they need more performance,they will be able to disable things like multisamples and bump mapping; although there’s very little bump mapping in this game.

Of course they will be able to set their texture resolution at the beginning of program start.

I honestly feel anyone on the multi core i7 level PCs with a modern day graphic card will run this game like a champ.

:smiley:

Image Removed

Made one of the dumbest mistakes ever… I noticed my military type actors didn’t want to move anymore.

:exclamation:

This was a shock because last time I ran the engine, they were good little pets that listened to my commands.

Turned out I had marked out the “#return valid” statement in my movement validation method; the last time I ran the engine. :blush:

I usually do things like that when I’m getting tired, which is the main reason I don’t like programming while tired.

Now I have to take care of a scale issue. I noticed P3D likes to automatically scale an object based on the other object it attaches to.

In some cases, that behavior might be wanted, but in others it is not wanted. I have another Theory of how I can remedy that problem. ( :laughing: me and my theories).

Some bump mapping and multi samples are enabled. Texture resolution is not highest. The settings have been reduced because the graphic card being used to develop this game is an older one which is working hard (at max) to keep up with the processors. It only has 512mb video memory.

Yes, it is a bottleneck and I’m aware of that. My fastest PC will raise the fps by at least 10 (possible more). The biggest difference between the two machines… Better graphic card and a x64 system.