Rotation according to the terrain

Im actually in a project in the university about robot, and im developing a robotic simulator, which programmers can test their robotics algorithms before test on a real robot which is too risk.

I started working with the Roamming Ralph model of program, I made my own model of robot(who is a car-like robot), and I loaded the roaming ralph world example to start working around the code. I made it walk, introduced a socket, but actually my problem is Rotating according to the ground, the uneven world of ralph roaming was the best map that I had to start with it.

I though too much and I conclude that the rotation with ground code come with the collision check, exactly the same place where we set the Z position of the robot with the Z position of the ground. I made a lot of calculation to get the angle rotation of terrain based on Surface normal, but all I got is a vec3 that is normalized and I found the exactly angle of about the vector (0,0,1) which is orthogonal to the world.

I found the angle, but i dont know how to split it in Hpr, not H, just P and R, because H is controlled with the arrows…

Someone have some idea how do I solve this problem?

Thanks!!!

I’m not sure what you’re asking. Perhaps you’re asking the same question that was asked in this thread?

David

Yeah it is, but still without a solution…

I know that SurfaceNormal exists, I know that I can find his angle with by using an vec3 method that returns the angle between 2 vectors, but I really dont know how to calculate the rotation, coz this angle, i can split in P and R rotation, so maybe there is some mathematical formula that I dont know, or perhaps the engine by itself gives a fast solution.

I have some progress right here.

def checkCollisions(self):
        self.cTrav.traverse(self.render)

entries = []

for i in range(self.roboGroundHandler.getNumEntries()):
            entry = self.roboGroundHandler.getEntry(i)
            entries.append(entry)
        entries.sort(lambda x,y: cmp(y.getSurfacePoint(self.render).getZ(),
                                     x.getSurfacePoint(self.render).getZ()))
        if (len(entries)>0) and (entries[0].getIntoNode().getName() == "terrain"):
            self.robo.setZ(entries[0].getSurfacePoint(self.render).getZ()+0.40)     
            #Calcula a rotacao no eixo X
            b = entries[0].getSurfaceNormal(self.render).getX() / fabs(entries[0].getSurfaceNormal(self.render).getX())
            #b=b*-1
            p = fabs(self.robo.getH() % 360)
            hP = 90 - entries[0].getSurfaceNormal(self.render).angleDeg(Vec3(0,1,0))
            hR = 90 - entries[0].getSurfaceNormal(self.render).angleDeg(Vec3(1,0,0))
            if (p >= 0 and p < 90):
                self.robo.setP(hP)
                self.robo.setR(hR)
            if (p >= 90 and p < 180):
                self.robo.setR(hR)
                self.robo.setP(hP)
            if (p >= 180 and p < 270):
                self.robo.setP(360 - hP)
                self.robo.setR(360 - hR)
            if (p >= 270 and p <= 359):
                self.robo.setR(360 - hR)
                self.robo.setP(360 - hP)

print self.robo.getHpr()
            print 90 - entries[0].getSurfaceNormal(self.render).angleDeg(Vec3(0,1,0))
            print 90 - entries[0].getSurfaceNormal(self.render).angleDeg(Vec3(1,0,0))
        else:
            self.robo.setPos(self.bpos)

This is my collision function, some part of it extracted from the roaming ralph example, the rotation is going good but still need some improved

You don’t need to map a normal vector to HPR yourself. Panda will do it for you. Use something like:

forward = self.render.getRelativePoint(self.robo, (0, 1, 0))
up = entries[0].getSurfaceNormal(self.render)
self.robo.headsUp(forward, up)

David

Oh my god, so easy, and I was making all the math about it, I was too close to solution with math, but that is very very very good…

Really thanks guy.