Remind me again: why am I using getPosDelta?

If moveVector gets zeroed every frame, and as a consequence newVector as well, what is the point of getting the velVector if it’s going to print the same as newVector? We know that a previous zero length vector will have that effect… I don’t know what to do, quite honestly. I thought that in theory I had nailed it, that I needed to set a destination (newVector) vector so that I could add it to a current Vector (more like the previous frame one) in order to get a velocity vector and use it to accelerate or decelerate the character everytime I pull a new direction (wider angles between the old and new vectors should accelerate us more than tighter angles, for example, because their sum gives us a vector whose length we can get). The problem is: the vector getting zeroed every frame not only doesn’t allow me to save it with setTag or setPythonTag, nor does it allow me to get a previous vector other than Vec3(0,0,0).

def move(self, task):

base.camera.lookAt(self.ralph)
		if (self.keyMap["cam-left"] != 0):
			base.camera.setX(base.camera, - 15 * globalClock.getDt())
		if (self.keyMap["cam-right"] != 0):
			base.camera.setX(base.camera, + 15 * globalClock.getDt())

startpos = self.ralph.getPos()
		self.moveVector = Vec3()

if (self.keyMap["left"] != 0):
			self.moveVector.setX(-1)
		if (self.keyMap["right"] != 0):
			self.moveVector.setX(1)
		if (self.keyMap["forward"] != 0):
			self.moveVector.setY(1)
		if (self.keyMap["backward"] != 0):
			self.moveVector.setY(-1)

self.newVector = render.getRelativeVector(base.camera, self.moveVector)
		self.newPoint = startpos - self.newVector

if self.newVector.length() > 1:
			self.newVector.normalize()
		self.newVector *= 5
		self.newVector *= globalClock.getDt()

self.ralph.setFluidPos(self.ralph.getPos() + self.newVector)
		if self.moveVector.length() != 0:
			self.ralph.lookAt(self.newPoint)
		self.velVector = self.ralph.getPosDelta()

What could I do with this?

If all you want is the old vector in the next frame, why don’t you just do self.oldVector = self.newVector at the end of that method? Then, when it runs again, you have self.oldVector to refer to for previous frame’s vector.

Thank you, that actually worked, but now I’m feeling dumb :blush: It was so simple…