Python Panda3D Manual: Starting Panda3D Broken

I downloaded the lastest stable python version of Panda 3D, the complete source code, and the art gallery. I am running Windows XP. Right off the bat using command prompt to run this I get:

Import Error: No Module named Showbase

I fix that by changing the line 1 from:

from direct.showbase.Showbase import ShowBase

to:

from direct.showbase import ShowBase

Then I get a different error:

Type Error: Error when calling the metaclass bases.
module.init() takes at most 2 arguments (3 given)

Then I try running it in python shell I get a different error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Game\Panda3D-1.7.2\panda.py”, line 1, in
from direct.showbase import ShowBase
File “C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Game\Panda3D-1.7.2\direct\showbase\ShowBase.py”, line 415
print “\n\nEnvironment Debug Info {”
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Now someone send me a panda 3D with no errors that I have to fix

You have to give us a little more. What code are you trying to run exactly? Could you post the code that gives the error, in

[code]
tags? It is likely that the problem is not in Panda3D but in your code.

The rest of the code is here:

panda3d.org/manual/index.php … ng_Panda3D

The correct line is:

from direct.showbase.ShowBase import ShowBase

Your original line had “Showbase” instead of “ShowBase” (note the capitalisation).

To clarify this a little:
There is a class called “ShowBase” inside a Python module called “ShowBase.py”. That file/module is a part of the “showbase” directory/package.

And the error because of your print statement might come from you using Python 3 instead if Python 2, which is the only supported version right now.

Oh, indeed. Panda comes with its own copy of Python, which you should run instead of any version of Python you have installed. You can simply run the “ppython” command instead of “python” to run Panda’s copy.

Thank you guys! You were right I just typed it wrong.