Problem with my graphics card? Is this common/known?

I seem to be having some troubles with my graphics card and just want to know if people have seen this before.

In OpenGL the sample games won’t even play. I get the error shown at the bottom of this post.

If I run them in DirectX9 mode most of them will play, but I’m not sure I am seeing exactly what I should (are there any screen shots handy that I could verify). A couple of them start but say “Video driver reports that depth textures are not supported”.

I also tried the game “Epoch” and while it plays in DirectX9, it doesn’t look like the graphics are quite right (pretty close, but my guess is that they are off). It doesn’t run at all in it’s default OpenGL mode.

I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 card, which I understand should support OpenGL 2.0 & DirectX9.

Does anyone have any relevant experience with a similar issue? I could sure use some guidance.

Is it just that my graphics card isn’t up to snuff? If I were to create a game based on Panda how much would I have to worry about users having similar incompatibilities? Is this the same for all games? I can run professional games like civilization on this laptop.

I’m fairly new to all of this and would like to create something pretty simple to start with, but want to have my expectations set correctly regarding these kinds of issues up front.

Thanks,
David

C:\Program Files\Panda3D-1.6.2\samples\Chessboard>“C:\Program Files\Panda3D-1.6.
2\python\python.exe” -E Tut-Chessboard.py
DirectStart: Starting the game.
Known pipe types:
wglGraphicsPipe
(all display modules loaded.)
:display:wgldisplay(error): SetPixelFormat(55) failed after window create
:display(error): Window wouldn’t open; abandoning window.
:ShowBase(warning): Unable to open ‘onscreen’ window.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “Tut-Chessboard.py”, line 10, in
import direct.directbase.DirectStart
File “C:\Program Files\Panda3D-1.6.2\direct\directbase\DirectStart.py”, line 4
, in
ShowBase.ShowBase()
File “C:\Program Files\Panda3D-1.6.2\direct\showbase\ShowBase.py”, line 229, i
n init
self.openDefaultWindow(startDirect = False, props=props)
File “C:\Program Files\Panda3D-1.6.2\direct\showbase\ShowBase.py”, line 726, i
n openDefaultWindow
raise StandardError, ‘Could not open window.’
StandardError: Could not open window.

See this thread:
discourse.panda3d.org/viewtopic.php?t=6541

Panda’s DirectX mode lacks just features and is buggy. Try to stick to OpenGL mode. You can find a workaround for the crash in above linked thread.