ppython doesn't exist in bin

I just compiled Panda3d on Ubuntu 12.04 using makepanda, but I can’t find the “ppython” executable anywhere. Is it supposed to be built as part of this process? Is there a way to run panda programs without ppython?

ppython is just a shortcut for Windows users to run the Python build that is distributed with Panda rather than any other Python build they may have installed.

On Linux, we build with the system version of Python, so it isn’t necessary. Just run your system Python.

Hm, when I do that, I get the following error:

$ PYTHONPATH=/home/istvan/libraries/panda3d-1.8.1/built/:/home/istvan/libraries/panda3d-1.8.1/built/lib/ python Tut-Asteroids.py
DirectStart: Starting the game.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Tut-Asteroids.py", line 13, in <module>
    import direct.directbase.DirectStart
  File "/home/istvan/libraries/panda3d-1.8.1/built/direct/directbase/DirectStart.py", line 3, in <module>
    from direct.showbase import ShowBase
  File "/home/istvan/libraries/panda3d-1.8.1/built/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py", line 10, in <module>
    from pandac.PandaModules import *
  File "/home/istvan/libraries/panda3d-1.8.1/built/pandac/PandaModules.py", line 2, in <module>
    from libpandaexpressModules import *
  File "/home/istvan/libraries/panda3d-1.8.1/built/pandac/libpandaexpressModules.py", line 1, in <module>
    from extension_native_helpers import *
  File "/home/istvan/libraries/panda3d-1.8.1/built/pandac/extension_native_helpers.py", line 81, in <module>
    Dtool_PreloadDLL("libpandaexpress")
  File "/home/istvan/libraries/panda3d-1.8.1/built/pandac/extension_native_helpers.py", line 79, in Dtool_PreloadDLL
    imp.load_dynamic(module, pathname)
ImportError: libp3dtool.so.1.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

But libp3dtool.so.1.8 definitely exists in the built/lib directory. What am I doing wrong?

Well, it’s easiest to tack on the --installer flag to your makepanda command so that makepanda produces a .deb for you to install. That should set everything up correctly.

If you are set on running directly from the built directory, though, you have to add built/lib to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH, built and built/lib to your PYTHONPATH, and built/bin to your PATH.