Please help! (Building Panda3D-1.6.2 for OSX)

Hello everyone.

First off, I am a HUGE noob when it comes to programming language. I understand how it works and the logic behind it, but I am very unfamiliar with the commands and the syntax. This is partly why I’ve downloaded the software.

I’ve been trying to follow some of the tutorials online, but most of them are out of date, and I continue to get error messages when trying to compile everything.

I’ve already installed the cg toolkit, set the paths for my scripts, and I took a crack at creating a script for python but no luck.

Most of the tutorials online have required that I download MacPorts and build “ppremake” (I have no idea what this is); however, whenever I try to install the commands through terminal, I get an error message every time.

They also require you to change permissions and paths in various directory files, but I do not know if this is required in the latest build.

Can someone please walk me through this? If someone can put me on the right direction, I’m fairly positive I can figure it out!

Thanks!

Building Panda can be a difficult process. Fortunately, for most Panda users, it’s not necessary to actually build the software at all, since it’s already been built for you. You only need to build Panda if you plan to make contributions to the C++ codebase, or if you have some very specific need not addressed by the standard builds. If all you want is to use Panda3D to make 3-D games in Python, though, you should just download and install the dmg file provided under the Download link, which contains everything you need to get started, all ready-to-go.

David

EDIT:

Ha! Finally got it! Thanks for your help!

Incidentally, the tutorials you’ve followed are old and pre-1.6.0. Building Panda on OSX is much more easier now, as easy as running a simple command.
But yeah, downloading the prebuilt version is even easier. :slight_smile: