Panda3D Open Game Project

Well you said

if thats not what you ment then forget it. We think the same way.

There is a few of us who have started to use Warply Designed to help us bring groups of people together to make games.

This might be a good place for you to find others.

Ummmm now why in the heck would we care about golf equipment? lol Unless it is 3D golf game or something.

Ok, i wrote some other post about project list, and maybe more people would be interested if this open game project would be done for sake of making better tutorials.

For example making simple RPG (can RPG be simple? :smiley:) demo, which would have good underlying architecture that would allow it to grow into full game would be an excellent way of learning game dev and it would probably attract more people to panda.

I will look into mygamefast, it looks pretty similar to this idea.

One of most important thing is that some sort of version control system is used (Git is my favorite).

So every commit would be an incremental update, and that is in my opinion much better than packaging versions with steps as folders. We could also offer it in this way, it is not hard to convert from one version control system to other (or at least should not be, havent tried anything like that so far)

So main thing that we need and lack is project leader and main developer(s).

Or we could simply help with mygamefast project, it seems pretty close to my suggestion, i only do not know if author is interested in doing it in open way (i would agree with him having final say in things, and i suggested him to sue git and publishing it which would allow easy branching if someone were interested in doing thing some other way :slight_smile:)

I have to agree with GrizzLyCRO.

Having dome demo tutorials, a solid foundation and of course using GIT would help not only learn how to make complete a game proper way but also help motivate people to get involved.

Apologies, I only just saw this post.

I am, of course, very open to people helping. I think Volume 1 on the site needs to be completed by myself (I sort of know where I’m going with it!), but future Volumes have not yet been defined.

There is a vague notion in my mind that each needs to be ‘of a genre’ (e.g., a volume for a beat em’ up, a volume for a platformer etc.) but have not gotten much further yet (other than knowing Vol.2 will probably be a platformer, because I started a little ‘princess rescue game’ with my 7 year old daughter!).

The important aspect of the whole effort is that from ‘the start’, it assumes nothing more than basic PC literacy. I am attempting to teach programming/software engineering in a general sense (Python being the language of choice/Panda the engine). It is for that reason that version control is not even mentioned in Volume 1 to date and probably won’t enter Volume 1 at all … it’s a bit more advanced and suitable for Vol2 onwards I suspect.

For the record, I favour svn …but if I see enough reasons to use git instead, I’ll go there. I just opted initially to chose what I’m more familiar with.

Lastly, just to clarify, I have been a software engineer for years and years working in all manner of industries… but … I am new to both Python and Panda3d! Some might argue that makes me ‘not the ideal man for the job’, but as I learn - I teach - and hopefully that helps make sure the content is complete. From the outset, the idea was good solid content most anyone could pick up (start of Vol 1) gradually progressing to more and more advanced concepts through the volumes. Happy to receive help but it’s imperative that any author ‘goes the extra mile’ on any content in terms of describing/detailing what’s going on and why.

A simple example - to date, I have offered EGG downloads… eventually this will move to ZIP… at which stage, it will be necessary to explain how to handle a ZIP file on Windows/Mac/Linux. There are no pre-requisites to the course (other than, as noted, some basic literacy) and no knowledge is assumed at any point. Made a rod for my own back in some respects, each issue is incredibly difficult to write, especially given the cross-platform angle.

Regards to all,
Gary

Just a sidenote:
Panda has its own cross-plattform for EGG compression. The programs are called pzip and punzip.

Okay, I made up my mind, lets port Yo Frankie!
Whos interested?

Ill probably start a thread in the Showcase section.

I understand the logic. You have all the game assets. But, doing a straight port is not going to motivate people. There’s nothing creative. Why not take the assets and form a new game?

Otherwise, people will lose interest, especially with the “grunt work” that would be involved porting. I don’t think it’s a small undertaking, so gotta keep people excited.

Perhaps, to keep it ‘fresh’, just “start a game using the assets from Yo Frankie” … no one knows exactly what the game will be, it will just evolve as a community project. Perhaps.

Cheers,
~G

Its not just that.

I just want to have something to showcase Panda’s features.

Its not just the assets, its all planned already. It will simply take to write the game logic and nothing more. And thats just what I need, to complete it as fast as possible.

I can say that, for myself, having everything planned and all the assets on your hands is very motivational for this particular project. I can also see the results very quickly.

Im working on my own projects for years now. I create the assets too and it takes very much time. If the only thing we want to do is help showcase pandas features we will have to forget “the fun part”, otherwise it will take alot longer and the chances for it to finish will gradually decrease. Also highly doubth our own assets will end up half as good as the ones in this game, and thats the whole point of my idea: eyecandy to attract more users. (its also not a secret that we have almost no real artists in the community)

You can disagree and start/continue your own project, its of course for you to decide, but most of the above are facts if you want to help the community.