Panda3d on Windows 7 beta 7000, first impressions

Just an FYI for anyone interested in running Panda on Windows 7.

My test box is a P4 2.4Mhz with an ATI 1300 video card. The performance is very similar to what I am measuring on the same hardware running Windows XP.

ATI doesnt have an OpenGL driver for this card yet so I am limited to Directx11 only.

I’m running Win7 build7000 32bit and my Panda3D installer seems to be stuck…

It’s been there for maybe an hour although it might have given the illusion of moving a millimetre… Any reason to why this could be? When running it, I ran the installer in Vista compatibility mode and gave the installer admin rights…

I’m getting errors when I run Panda applications on Windows 7. On Vista Ultimate I had no such problems and I could use any of the 3 load-display options. My machine has an Intel 950 Graphics Accelerator on an ASRock Wolfdale D667 R2.0 motherboard.

With pandagl I get:

DirectStart: Starting the game
Known pipe types:
  wglGraphicsPipe
(all display modules loaded.)
:display(error): The application requested harware acceleration, but your OpenGL
:display(error): driver, GDI Generic, only supports software rendering.
:display(error): You need to install a hardware-accelerated OpenGL driver, or,
:display(error): if you actually *want* to use a software renderer, then
:display(error): alter the hardware/software configuration in your Config.prc file.
:display
:ShowBase(warning): Unable to open 'onscreen' window
(error): Window wouldn't open; abandoning window.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "F:\Project Eden SDK 1.0\Feature Tests\adam_class\scripts\main.py", line 17, in <module>
    main()
  File "F:\Project Eden SDK 1.0\Feature Tests\adam_class\scripts\main.py", line 13, in main
    EdenEvolves = AdamTest()
  File "F:\Project Eden SDK 1.0\Feature Tests\adam_class\scripts\AdamTest.py", line 26, in __init__
    Adam.__init__(self, self.starterTask) # ancestral constructor
  File "D:\Python25\lib\site-packages\Eden\Eden3D\Worlds\Adam.py", line 22, in __init__
    Genesis.__init__(self, remoteStarterTask, customPRC, edenClass) # ancestral constructor
  File "D:\Python25\lib\site-packages\Eden\Eden3D\Worlds\Genesis.py", line 25, in __init__
    Creation.__init__(self, remoteStarterTask, customPRC, edenClass) # ancestral constructor
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\Eden\Eden3D\Worlds\Creation.py", line 54, in __init__
    import direct.directbase.DirectStart
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\panda3d\direct\directbase\DirectStart.py", line 4, in <module>
    ShowBase.ShowBase()
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\panda3d\direct\showbase\ShowBase.py", line 229, in __init__
    self.openDefaultWindow(startDirect = False, props=props)
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\panda3d\direct\showbase\ShowBase.py", line 726, in openDefaultWindow
    raise StandardError, 'Could not open window.'
StandardError: Could not open window.

With pandadx9 and pandadx8 it works as usual. Any ideas?

None of these posts seem to have much to do with each other, other than the commonality of running on Windows 7, which doesn’t seem to be related to any of the problems reported.

Trencherous, your graphics drivers don’t support OpenGL. You either need to continue to run in DirectX, or download new graphics drivers for your card.

David

I’m using windows 7 64-bit Build 7100 nvidia card with nvidia driver and panda runs fine.