Panda3d on Fedora Core 4 Linux under VMWare

Anyone ever try to install Panda3d under VMWare? I’m getting the following error running any panda apps:

Known pipe types:
glxGraphicsPipe
(all display modules loaded.)
:display:glxdisplay(error): Using GL renderer Mesa GLX Indirect; it is probably a software renderer.
:display:glxdisplay(error): To allow use of this display add FM_software to your frame buffer mode.

Searching google I don’t see a reference to ‘add FM_software to your frame buffer mode’ anywhere (or even just the keyword FM_software)

Ah. Yes, by default, Panda3D won’t run unless it can get accelerated 3D. If you’d like Panda3D to tolerate software rendering, you have to edit the Panda3D configuration file “Config.prc”. The line that says:

framebuffer-mode rgba double-buffer depth hardware

Add the word “software” to the end of the line.

• Josh

Excellent, that worked but the FPS was about what you would imagine in software mode :slight_smile:

Now will just need to see why the library doesn’t think that the capabilities shown from VMWare allows hardware accelleration.

Well, Panda3D just uses OpenGL. If OpenGL is accelerated, then Panda3D is accelerated. I really suspect that the VMWare virtual video card isn’t 3D accelerated. I mean, it would be awfully hard to make a virtual accelerated card.

be assured that these cards (neither VMWare nor QEmu) are NOT 3D-accelerated… so even if you attach Panda3D to DirectX (Windows) all it can do is software rendering. But I am not sure about the fact why it should deny 3D-Capatibilities as a whole… there should be a way to render them completely in software - of course this will have an deep impact on performance…

Regards, Bigfoot29

be assured that these cards (neither VMWare nor QEmu) are NOT 3D-accelerated… so even if you attach Panda3D to DirectX (Windows) all it can do is software rendering. But I am not sure about the fact why it should deny 3D-Capatibilities as a whole… there should be a way to render them completely in software - of course this will have an deep impact on performance…

Regards, Bigfoot29