Panda3d crashes when I use my code, but want to translate the problem report I got from it (Solved)

Yet another: it will show you variables that aren’t being used, by colouring them grey

woah, that does sound good, hmm, but I wonder if it will mix well with my current setup? does it have a pip installer?

It even has automated virtual environment setup built in, which I’d suggest you use when developing in Python…
PyCharm is a very powerful IDE that IMHO is far ahead of any other IDE for Python out there. (proof me wrong, I’m happy to be convinced otherwise, just haven’t found a better IDE yet)

I worked with it on Linux, Windows and Mac and the experience doesn’t change (other than having to learn the finger gymnastics on Mac for special characters)

I honestly don’t know whether it has a pip installer, offhand–I installed it before I started using pip. On the other hand, having started to use pip doesn’t seem to have incurred any sort of conflict, so even if you install it some other way, I don’t think that it’s likely to be a major problem.

I’m currently using a copy of PyCharm that was probably installed via either an installer or an Ubuntu package manager, I think. (It’s been a while.) Since then I think that I’ve let it update itself a once or twice, at least. My copy of Panda was installed via pip, if I recall correctly. The two seem to work happily together.

Again, this is under Linux, not Mac, but I have no real reason to think that there would be likely to be more problems under Mac.

Under Ubuntu I started to just use the snap they offer, which made it much easier to stay up to date. On Windows and Mac I don’t see why one wouldn’t just use the provided installer for PyCharm on their download site.

Also, @jnpickee: What did you mean by

Is your question whether PyCharm can be installed via the means of pip or did you want to know, whether PyCharm has pip functionality integrated? It does provide an easy way to install pip packages and also makes it very easy to create and develop in a virtualenv, so you can keep your python projects tidy with only the modules you need…

Thaumaturge: hmm, well I ask because I know if it was installed through pip, it would work and integrate, I,m not too familiar with Mac OSX since I had it since late 2015 and have only been using it seriously since half a year ago (when my windows computer’s clicker stop working properly)

So installation of anything on mac is a hassle for me since i,m used to windows install conventions.

tcdude: no, I mean can it be installed through pip?, sorry, I should have worded that better.

I can understand that, I think.

Here’s a (really short!) tutorial that I found that covers installation of PyCharm under Mac: Install PyCharm Python IDE in Windows, Mac OS X, Linux/Unix Based on that, there seem to be two steps (three, if you take the optional step) after downloading the “dmg” file.

As to integration, I’m not in a position to speak to how it works on Mac, but I see no reason that it would be likely to be any less integrated than under Windows or Linux. I strongly suspect that it will integrate happily.

I haven’t done much programming with PyCharm on Mac OSX, but used it to run some of my projects I developed on Linux and frankly I didn’t notice much of a difference between getting things to run with Linux/Mac/Windows.

rdb, sorry for the delay, this issue has actually been solved from the time of this post below.

But i,m just getting barely testing 30fps to confirm it works, now that it is confirmed, I can flag this thread as solved, so thank you for the big help in solving this glitch rdb.

To both thaumaturge and tcdude: I guess it the things like I heard about mac does not have a registry hive that confuses me about integration, but yeah, I’ll take a look at that guide in a moment thaumaturge.

Edit: okay, so I checked the website again, and says free for open source projects only, I see a flexibility problem because, who is to say things will come up in the future, I don’t know, I guess it’s a mental thing for me to have all possibilities covered.

Wait, where do you see that? Looking at the license document in my copy’s folder, and according to Wikipedia, the Community Edition (which is the free version that I’m suggesting that you use) is under the Apache license. I don’t think that the Apache license requires that projects made using a tool that is so licensed be themselves open-source.

Are you sure that you’re not looking at a different version of PyCharm?

In all fairness, I’m not seeing the license on the site itself, so perhaps I’ve missed something.

[edit]
While I still haven’t found a license statement on the website, looking again at Wikipedia I see this:

" * PyCharm Professional Edition is free for open source projects and for some educational uses.[6]"

But that’s the Professional Edition. (The otherwise-non-free version, I believe.) Reading on:

" * PyCharm Community Edition is distributed under Apache 2 license, with full source code available on GitHub.[9]"

The Community Edition is what I’m recommending to you, and what I use myself.

That’s for the Professional verison, which is otherwise not free. In short, you can have the paid-for version for free under certain conditions.

However, the Community Edition has a separate license, I believe, and doesn’t–as far as I see–restrict the user to open-source projects.

On the “Download” page, you have the option of downloading either a free trial of the Professional version, or the Community Edition, which is free (and itself open-source):

Note that there are no such restrictions mentioned there.

Okay, I’ll admit to being lazy and only visited the first and purchase pages, I should have at least looked at the download section to have seen the community edition, sorry, it looks like the paid version is more suited for web development.

But what is “Scientific Tools” and “Python Profiler”? those appear to be missing and would they be missed if were to use pycharm?

The “Features” page has some information on them, I think.

The “scientific tools” seem to include various things used in the sciences: Numpy, Matplotlib, etc.

They also mention the “interactive Python console” under that heading, which is odd, as I seem to have a Python console in my (Community) version. Ah well, if it’s missing in your version, you can always just open a terminal and run Python, just as you can now, I imagine. (I don’t think that it’s something that I use often, myself.)

They mention “Conda”, and “Anaconda”, and I’ll admit that I don’t know what that is. I’ve seen the name around, I think, but I don’t know much about it.

Whether any of those are likely to be missed depends, I think, on what you’re likely to use.

As to the profiler, I imagine that it’s just that: a tool to help you determine where performance bottlenecks lie, and the like.

When I’ve done profiling, I’ve generally used PStats (or DirectTools), which Panda provides. They’re perhaps not ideal for finding Python bottlenecks, but they’re good for finding graphical bottlenecks, and can be used to find performance issues in your code.

Whether PyCharm’s Python profiler will be useful to you I don’t know. If your game-scripts are fairly light, then perhaps not. If they might become performance issues, then perhaps so. (In addition, I’m not sure that I’m the best person to judge this matter.)

… That said, does IDLE offer those tools? If not, then are you missing them now?

I guess not, but I,m pondering weather to install the community or professional edition, If I make a switch, I just want to do it once, not twice if I end up finding out I needed something later on, and 89.00$ is not bad either.

Not knowing what features you’re going to want, or what $89.00 is to you, I’m not sure of what more advice I might offer. You have the “features” page for the purposes of comparison, at the least.

(Note, by the way, that the price of $89.00 doesn’t seem to be a one-off payment–it looks like you pay yearly or monthly, and that $89.00 is the price for the first year. (The price does seem to come down in the second and third years.)

Unless I’m looking at the wrong page, of course, which is possible! ^^; )

Yeah, I get that is annually, but tell you what, much like my programming style I,m going to hold off this decision until I have finished my first prototype, then i’ll look into pycharm more, I also like the web features it has as i have a website that can use some work.

Fair enough!

Whatever you choose, I hope that it works out well for you. :slight_smile:

thanks, maybe sometime next month I will be finished.