Panda3D 1.6.1 released

The OSX build is compiled against Apple’s default on Leopard, which is still 2.5.

To all mac users: The crash seems to be related to threading. So, I’ve made a build without threading support - you won’t be able to use all the fancy new threading features, but you can still get the rest, and even be able to run Panda, I hope. :slight_smile:
Check out the download page.

@Jhocking: you got a point there, my windows is still Python 2.5.4 and Panda ran just fine. :wink: (just had to add the “panda.pth” file to use system’s python).

@Pro-rsoft: thanks a lot for the new build. Any chances of getting the thread issue fixed for Mac in further releases?

regards,
Alvaro

Am working on it.

Hopefully that work isn’t standing in the way of shadows, probably the most important next feature.

Tried switching to OpenAL and running the Music Box demo, no sound. While I’m assuming OpenAL is working on Linux, still nothing on OSX.

Oh. On OSX, it uses Apple’s version of OpenAL, which could be buggy.
Can you somehow try to figure out what version of OpenAL you have?

I’d be happy to check that when I get home, but how do I check? Would the OpenAL version be listed in System Profile or something?

Check the al.h header file or so - maybe it contains some kind of version #define or so.

There’s a weird problem with the bloom filter, I don’t know if this was happening in 1.6.0 too but certainly it wasn’t in 1.5.x. Just run the Tut-Glow-Basic.py file, you’ll see that when the bloom filter is activated the model is zoomed and no filter is actually displayed.
I’m on Linux running an Nvidia card.

pro-rsoft, in general would you prefer having the bugs reported on launchpad or here ?

ah yeah I see that too. The problem is only apparent in glow-basic, glow-advanced is fine.

Also, because I know the cartoon shader does similar things to the glow shader I checked that. Cartoon-basic has correct shading and outline but they look zoomed in. Cartoon-advanced has correct shading and it isn’t zoomed in, but the black outline is zoomed in.

glow-basic is using the auto shader filter while glow advanced uses the custom filter stuff that was used for long time.

Its probably an easy fix but you guys need to post meaningfull error reports!

There’s no error to report beyond describing what it looks like. Panda runs with no complaint, but the rendering is zoomed in.

Anyway, this looks just like what was happening before before pro-rsoft did some fbo fix for 1.6.0, so I’m guessing that fix simply didn’t get incorporated into 1.6.1

@pro-rsoft: oh btw the openal version is listed in apple’s system profiler. It is version 1.2

Yeah, that should have been fixed for 1.6.0. The reason I didn’t run into it is because I have “textures-power-2 none” set, but I am sure I did try it with the usual setting. I must have made a mistake somewhere and fixed the bug twice in different places.
It must be calculating or passing the texture padding value incorrectly. I’ll look into it.

It’s incredibly hard for me to keep track of the bugs on the forums. I keep forgetting stuff. So, I prefer launchpad.

By the way, drwr, do you think it’s a good idea to enable “textures-auto-power-2” by default? It gives a performance benefit and the cards that don’t support it are really dated (besides tinydisplay rendering perhaps, but still, then it will auto-enable the scaling).
I doubt someone will ever run into the weird case that they open up a second graphics pipe without power-2 support, and even then they can always disable it.

Hmm, the biggest downside to enabling this that I can think of are drivers that lie: drivers that claim to support non-power-2 textures for hardware that can’t actually support them, by quietly scaling them at load time. This works just as well as Panda doing the scaling, except for things like video textures and render-to-texture effects, for which it is much, much slower. (It’s true that the hardware that doesn’t support non-power-2 textures is dated, but experience shows there are still a lot of these cards out there.)

I’m also not sure that enabling this feature by default will be an overall convenience or not. It may make it more difficult to detect obscure bugs, by making them more likely to be hardware-dependent (for instance, bug A only shows up when it is run on a machine that doesn’t support non-power-2 textures).

David

Ah, okay. Fair enough then.

@jhocking: OpenAL 1.2 is pretty old, but its still one of the newer OpenALSoft versions. Do you have no sound at all or does it crash?
It kind of surprises me that the OpenAL that Apple ships wouldn’t work.

Also, did you still try the Maya 2008 exporter on OSX, with 1.6.1?

I tried the plugin before when 1.6.1 wasn’t working and the exporter didn’t work then, but I’ve not had a chance since to try it, sorry. I’ll make sure to test it this week (probably Wednesday night) and let you know.

When I run the Music Box demo with OpenAL here’s the terminal output:

DirectStart: Starting the game.
Known pipe types:
osxGraphicsPipe
(all display modules loaded.)
:interval(error): Event 1 not on active list.
Assertion failed: false at line 898 of direct/src/interval/cMetaInterval.cxx
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “Panda3D-tpl-rw/Panda3D/1.6.1/lib/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py”, line 1524, in __ivalLoop
File “Panda3D-tpl-rw/Panda3D/1.6.1/lib/direct/interval/IntervalManager.py”, line 95, in step
AssertionError: false at line 898 of direct/src/interval/cMetaInterval.cxx
:task(error): Exception occurred in PythonTask ivalLoop
File “Panda3D-tpl-rw/Panda3D/1.6.1/lib/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py”, line 2423, in run
File “Panda3D-tpl-rw/Panda3D/1.6.1/lib/direct/task/TaskNew.py”, line 471, in run
File “Panda3D-tpl-rw/Panda3D/1.6.1/lib/direct/task/TaskNew.py”, line 429, in step
File “Panda3D-tpl-rw/Panda3D/1.6.1/lib/direct/showbase/ShowBase.py”, line 1524, in __ivalLoop
File “Panda3D-tpl-rw/Panda3D/1.6.1/lib/direct/interval/IntervalManager.py”, line 95, in step
AssertionError: false at line 898 of direct/src/interval/cMetaInterval.cxx

That is all when I press the button once to open the box (no sound of course.) When I click the button again to close the box it crashes.

Also, just to make sure I’m actually typing the command right, in Config.prc I have audio-library-name p3openal_audio

drwr helped me yet again through debugging it (many thanks!). I’ve just uploaded a new build on the download page that does include threading, can a mac user try it out? (don’t try the nothreads version, but the normal one)

Just tried to test it, realized it’s not there anymore. Shouldn’t be in Panda3D>1.6.1>bin?

EDIT: Just noticed your last post about the new build. Hadn’t noticed that before, downloading now.

EDIT2: nope still no maya2egg, don’t forget to include that in the build so I can test it. I downloaded the version with threads and it works!

Apologies, my mistake. I’ve just corrected it and uploaded a new build.

Thanks, downloading now.

ADDITION: It works! At least, it works for exporting a static untextured model; I’ll test it later with textures and animations.

I don’t know if you caught my exclamation in my last post, but the threading version is working. If a couple other OSX users chime in to say the threading is working, you can probably just remove the no-threads download.