packp3d stuck in the past

Panda does not pass on the environment variables to the Python program in the .p3d environment, which is why setting LIBGL_DEBUG is not doing anything. This may actually be part of the problem - it might be possible that your OpenGL driver requires a certain environment variable to be set in order to work properly, and the fact that Panda’s not setting it is what makes it fail. This is why I asked for the ‘env’ output.

The “OPENGL_PROFILE=xorg-x11” variable sounds like a good candidate. Can you run OpenGL apps such as glxgears after first unsetting this variable? If that fails with the same issue, we know that we should let Panda pass this variable to the child process. If not, then you could try unsetting various env vars that seem related until you can reproduce the problem in a simple OpenGL app such as glxgears.

Perhaps a “locate r600” or “locate swrast” may give us some clue about where it’s trying to load the driver from.

You can add -c ‘keep_user_env=1’ to the packp3d command line, or ‘config(keep_user_env=1)’ to the class body in the pdef file if you use ppackage, when you build your p3d file. This will tell Panda not to throw away your environment variables when you run your p3d file. If this solves your problem, it tells us that rdb’s guess is right, there is some key environment variable you require that we’re not passing through. If nothing else, it’ll allow LIBGL_DEBUG to work the way you expect it to.

David

Well, I really did not think that glxgears would work with OPENGL_PROFILE unset, but it does.

Nor does adding -c keep_user_env=1 to the p3d creation seem to change anything.

I was hoping to do some testing on this Ubuntu system, but Panda won’t install for some reason.

Should I be trying v 1.7.2 instead?