Overhauling the manual

Sounds good.

It would be great to have an opportunity to translate docs into different languages. I would like to translate them into Russian (there is need in that: I got a pm asking if there is a Russian version of the manual).

Sorry to wake up this old thread guys, but treeform, could you put the script to generate that on the talk page of that manual page? Then we could always regenerate it - it’s probably a bit out of date by now.

Would it be possible to have some “clean printable” version of the tutorial of panda3d? I’m beggining univ, and I would really like to read it from head to toe before starting anything python.

RTF, PDF, ODT or HTML IS GOOD.

(for those who are on irc, I read a 10min python tuto, just for strict syntax constraints, I just want to do simple things fast, on the fly with python) (I know I’m a maniac, but please, I’m really trying to see if a free game on unix and not free on windows will change something business speaking).

panda3d.org/download.php
You can find it under “Panda3D Manuals”.

I meant the tutorial, not the manual.

Tutorial? If you don’t mean the tutorial in the manual, what are you talking about?

Oh.

I got the feeling that engines without real tutorials are really the one to go.

I’ll go for the samples then, I just want something to read while seating at univ, all this semester will be quite boring, while the concentrating aura is quite good for reading…

Hi. Dunno if this has been already pointed out. I’d like to see some more pure c++ oriented stuff in the manual. For example, even if I switch my language to c++ I stll get lotta pages using the actor class, but… hey, if I chose c++ probably I just don’t wanna use python, so no actor class. And if I try to understand how to do some stuff without using it, I find little to no information. I could study panda3d source, yes, but wouldn’t it be better to have correct infos in the manual? Am I the only one in the world who DON’T wanna use python at all? :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, it’d be good if I could give my help, but I’m yet too noob about panda3d to contribute some serious documentation. I’ll let you know…

I agree with your sentiments completely. We are still in the middle of the gradual process of adding more C++ content to the manual, so it’s still a little Python heavy so far.

David

You are not. I also don’t wanna use python at all. I admit that it looks right for most of the projects but my project has certain requisites and python just won’t do. Anyway, I’m in the process of translating the parts of the manual I go over as I do my game. I’ll post my progress in this thread. pro-rsoft explained there how to edit the wiki. Anybody is welcome to help, you don’t really need to know a lot since translating some things from python to c++ is trivial. Other topics are more complex but you can just let those to other people or ask in the thread.

Actually I do not want to see more c++ things in the manual. I downloaded and installed panda3d back in 2002 because I had seen a reference to it on the blenderartitst.org( then called elysiun.org) forum. The fact that is could create 3D interactive animations and simulations using PYTHON was the reason that I installed it. I was already learning python to use as a scripting language for blender. If I wanted to use c++ I would have gone with OGRE,Crystalspace or any of the other of hundereds of rendering/game engines on the web.

But now there is a Python / C++ switch at the top of the manual, which should prevent you from seeing anything C+±related if you are in Python-mode, it shouldn’t bother you anymore. Does it?