Oculus Rift - Sponsoring support for Panda3d

Just wondering how the Oculus support is coming along. I saw in another thread that there had been some work/collaboration done. Is any of it included in the snapshot builds or committed to the repository?

Does Panda3D have virtual reality support now? I have been trying to find information about it.

I have been sitting on a proof-of-concept implementation of Oculus Rift in my local branch for a number of years now. In the process, I realised that Panda lacks some infrastructure that is really necessary to make VR a first-class citizen, which we should focus on after 1.11 is out.

Though, in the meantime, if someone wants my proof-of-concept code to hack on it, I’d be happy to send it to them.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, is it still based on the Oculus SDK or did you switch to OpenVR ?

I used the official Oculus SDK.

Oculus was about half of the PC VR market in 2019. In 2014 using Oculus SDK made sense, now with so much WindowsMR, HTC and Valve headsets in use OpenXR makes more sense.

Sure, OpenXR would be cool to implement for VR support. However, it didn’t exist at the time. It was only released last year.

I think the most important missing pieces in Panda are: a high-level concept for composition layers (which I want to address in a new app/window framework for Panda, which would also solve a number of other problems we have, some of them related to VR), as well as a better way to define postprocessing filters, without which I could not implement VR support cleanly without breaking existing postprocessing filter pipelines.

Sure, I didn’t mean you should have used OpenXR years ago, I wanted to say that you should probably switch than continuing updating your Oculus SDK code. Facebook keeps making Oculus more and more closed platform while OpenXR and OpenVR at least try to support everybody.

I think the Godot source could be useful for you for reference, both their post-pocessing as well as VR support. That said I personally wouldn’t mind the current postprocessing filter pipeline being overhauled. It doesn’t offer much anyway so there won’t be much code rewriting required for existing projects to support a new implementation.