Noob... checking to see if Panda will work for me

Hello. I am new here. I wanted to introduce myself, ask some basic questions.

I am “primem0ver”. My real name is Matthew. I am working on a large prototyping project that makes use of 3d modeling. I am trying to decide between Urho3D and Panda3D.

Requirements:

1. WebGL and OpenGL ES support.
  2. The ability to embed a 3d surface into a window, specifically a Qt Widget of any size. (Pretty sure this is possible)
  3. The ability to develop a plugin for a web browser that will allow the interactive 3d surface to appear on a web page.
  4. The ability to dynamically create a custom mesh using code that takes mesh shape parameters. (I need lots of basic shapes such as pyramids, spheres, cubes, rectangular prisms, almost any shape that is easily imagined;. I also need the ability to create spheres based on ISEA grids rather than the typical slice/wedge grids)
  5. An ability to override the drawing cycle (chain) to allow for a custom type of lighting (directional lighting whose direction depends on an objects positional relationship to a point source (or another object))*.
  6. Scripting and script access are part of my application. HOWEVER, the Qt based platform (versus web page embedded scenes) has many extra features which require very strict control when it comes to object access. Scripts cannot have access to any object in the graphics engine without express permission from my built in object manager. Scripts themselves are managed objects which are assigned both a permission key and a permission level. Anything without the correct key and/or with a permission level lower than the required permission level for an object must not be given access to that object. Is this going to be a problem with the built in Python scripting?
  7. Not required but would be very nice and helpful… I would prefer that the engine be able to import meshes of any commonly used format. I noticed some formats on the features page. Can these be directly imported? Or do they need to be converted first.

Hi, welcome to the community!

There is only an experimental level of support for this.

Possible, though I don’t know that it is possible to combine this with WebGL / OpenGL ES.

There is a browser plug-in, but it is currently being deprecated in favor of WebGL since browsers are dropping support for plug-ins.

Yes, you can create any kind of procedural mesh you would like in Panda3D.

You can do this by providing custom shaders.

Panda3D is implemented in Python, so you have full scripting ability in your application. I don’t know anything about Qt so I don’t know how to answer the rest of your question.

This depends on the format. Any format supported by the Assimp library can be loaded directly into the engine, for example, without a conversion step.

Thanks for your reply. Regarding 6. Is there a way to block scripting from working?