No module named pandac.PandaModules

I’ve installed Panda3d via the spec file (into RPM) on Red Hat Fedora 4. My python version is 2.4.1 as shipped by the OS. Unfortunately, I am getting the following error. I should note that I’m executing ppython from /usr/share/panda3d as it eliminates an earlier error importing direct.directbase.DirectStart – using the ppython in the path simply does not work.

Once I have this working, I’ll make available a compiled RPM for Fedora Core 4 on x86_64.

Thank you,
Eric Windisch

bash-3.00$ pwd
/usr/share/panda3d
bash-3.00$ bin/ppython samples/Basic-Tutorials–Lesson-1-Scene-Graph/Tut-Step-1- Blank-Window.py
DirectStart: Starting the game.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "samples/Basic-Tutorials–Lesson-1-Scene-Graph/Tut-Step-1-Blank-Window.py ", line 11, in ?
import direct.directbase.DirectStart
File “/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/panda3d-1.0.5/BUILDROOT/usr/share/panda3d/direct/s rc/directbase/DirectStart.py”, line 3, in ?
File “/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/panda3d-1.0.5/BUILDROOT/usr/share/panda3d/direct/s rc/showbase/ShowBase.py”, line 6, in ?
ImportError: No module named pandac.PandaModules

Actually, on further review… I think I’m having the same problem as in this other post: discourse.panda3d.org/viewtopic.php?t=429

Log of my “makepanda” is available:
eric.bwbohh.net/panda3d/compile.log

I should note than when building an RPM, I get no errors, the RPM appears to build successfully. I did need to make a change to the spec file as the models directory did not appear under “built” – perhaps because the build didn’t get far enough to copy those files?

I suspect that the RPM didn’t build correctly after all, it just thinks it built correctly. Probably a bug in the spec file.

I (and others) have tried compiling panda under fedora 4, but it doesn’t get very far — apparently, they’ve changed the C++ language again. It’s going to take some time before we can get around to fixing it.

• Josh