no doc folder in panda3d 1.8 oneiric- How do i build

Hi,
Trying to compile panda for the first time.
I downloaded the oneiric sdk from panda3d.org/download.php?sdk&version=devel

after downloading, I selected open with software center.
This seems to have installed the SDK but doesn’t compile it.

which panda3d returns nothing

Searching for “build panda3d”, most forums suggest going to the /doc folder and following instructions from one of two INSTALL files or going into the /samples directory and invoking python on a selected test project.

Neither doc nor samples is in my /usr/share/panda3d folder.

kesten@kesten-K42Jr:/usr/share/panda3d$ dir
direct LICENSE models panda3d.py pandac plugins Pmw ReleaseNotes

So how do I compile??

thanks,

kesten

Oh yes, if it helps, I develop using Eclipse or Qt

I found the samples branch on launchpad.

code.launchpad.net/~panda3d/panda3d/samples
Gave launchpad my ssh key, logged in and then tried to download the branch

/usr/share/panda3d$ bzr branch lp:~panda3d/panda3d/samples
Warning: Permanently added ‘bazaar.launchpad.net,91.189.90.11’ (RSA) to the list of known hosts.

bzr: ERROR: Permission denied: “/usr/share/panda3d/samples”: [Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘/usr/share/panda3d/samples’

repeating with a sudo in front gives

The authenticity of host ‘bazaar.launchpad.net (91.189.90.11)’ can’t be established.
RSA key fingerprint is 9d:38:3a:63:b1:d5:6f:c4:44:67:53:49:2e:ee:fc:89.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added ‘bazaar.launchpad.net,91.189.90.11’ (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
Permission denied (publickey).
bzr: ERROR: Connection closed: Unexpected end of message. Please check connectivity and permissions, and report a bug if problems persist.

Welcome to the forums!

The samples might not be included in the dev builds. You can get a samples zipfile from the download page, and extract it somewhere in your home directory, and run the samples from there.

Found my problem.
I was having permission problems because by default, my ubuntu system installs all files as owner root group root.
For example, if i download the panda3d sdk 1.8 for oneiric, right click and choose “open with ubuntu software center” it installs everything happily. But the permissions are ls -l /usr/share/panda3d
root root (owner group)

when i try to download the samples from launchpad

code.launchpad.net/~panda3d/panda3d/samples
using
kesten$ bzr branch lp:~panda3d/panda3d/samples

I get permission denied. bzr can’t create the samples directory when launched by user kesten because panda3d is owned by root

if I try to sudo around the problem
kesten$ sudo bzr branch lp:~panda3d/panda3d/samples
this runs bzr as root, and presumeably bzr would now be able to create the “samples” directory, but it can’t get that far because launchpad won’t allow root to connect because it’s expecting user “kesten”
permission denied (public key)

the solution i found on lp forums was to change the ownership of the panda3d directory
kesten$ sudo chown kesten panda3d -R

The -R is for recursive so all subdirectories and files below panda3d will become owned by kesten.

kesten:/usr/share$ ls -l shows panda3d is now
kesten root (owner = kesten, group = root)

now the bare $ bzr branch lp:~panda3d/panda3d/samples
works fine.