Next release?

Hi,

I was wondering when you guys are planning on doing a next release. I’m asking because the CVS version contains quite a few bugfixes, on the other hand I’d feel a lot better with using a version that you released than my own build.

Thanks,

Max Hajek
Vienna

I have not played with cvs, so I wondering what kind of fixes you refer to :wink:

cheers
neighborlee

if you do CVS updates you will see that Panda is extended and improved constantly.

David is constantly fixing problems that are reported on these forums. e.g. this week David fixed a bug with dereferencing Py_None and added animation interpolation yesterday.

Panda3D is evolving all the time. which is great!

cheers,
kaweh

Yep, its developed constantly… there are rumors that a new minor release is on the way. I didn’t ask myself, but drwr said that in a thread here a few days ago :slight_smile:

But for the newer people here: Panda3D has a cycle. Once a Panda “major” release is done (e.g. 1.1) they fix the bugs that appear and pack that together. This normally happens within 1-2 months after the release of the beta version of the “major release”. Then the devs start working on the core - changing things, improving things, … - until they think the stuff is done. That can easily take up to 6 months where the development seems to have died. After the 6 months the cycle starts once again. New “major” release, minor fixes, “cooldown time”.

Hope, that was usefull. :smiley:
(But again: drwr wrote that already somewhere)

Regards, Bigfoot29

I’m currently working on releasing panda 1.3.0. Unfortunately, I can’t remember all the features that are in this new version. Here’s two off the top of my head:

1. Both the linux and windows versions now use ffmpeg for video. That means greater compatibility between the two.

2. The sound library has been upgraded from fmod to fmod-ex. This allows DSP effects like reverb, playing a sound backward, pitch bending, and other crazy effects.

There’s a lot more, but I’m drawing a blank right now.

Sahweet… any updates on the physics side?

hmmm… people offer you their small finger and you try to rip off their arms, Crimity :wink: :smiley:

Both are neat things… lets see how it will look like… - Thanks for the update,
Josh :slight_smile:

Regards, Bigfoot29

Hehe sorry… I know it’s difficult to implement physics… any changes are a treat for me. I can work just fine as it is, so I hope the panda team just keeps doing whatever they think is most important first… actually regardless of what I need, any team should do that… In my opinion it generates the best products… otherwise you get bloated clunky programs…

Hi Josh,

I was wondering whether you could give any information about your schedule with the release.
Specifically, is there a chance that the release might happen before November 10th?

Many thanks for your great work,
Max

Crimity, was more of a joke post. :slight_smile:

Regards, Bigfoot29

I’m pretty sure the release will happen before nov 10, yes.