New Panda, New samples?

You might want to use a static site generator and host the result in GitHub pages. This puts your tutorial under version control and people can submit issues and pull requests to the tutorial. Also, using Markdown or reStructuredText is probably quicker/easier than HTML.

A static site generator? Could you point me to one, please? (Ideally one that works under Ubuntu.)

I’m… not all that familiar with Markdown (outside of use on forums, I think?), and I don’t know “reStructuredText” at all, as far as I’m aware. (Unless the latter is used on this or another forum, I suppose.)

As you may gather, I’m not terribly familiar with making web-pages and suchlike. I’m familiar with my blog-hosting software, and with basic HTML (and a bit of CSS), but that’s about it. ^^;

As to GitHub, that’s probably a good idea–the tutorial itself aside, I’m going to want somewhere to keep the assets, etc. I suppose that my GitHub account allows me to make a project there–I’ll look into that, I think.

(I’m going to want to double-check my licence information and add relevant text to the code that I intend to include before uploading it anywhere, admittedly. But that shouldn’t take long!)

Here are some tutorials on using Jekyll (a static site generator) with GitHub Pages. A static site generator takes some flat files such as Markdown and generates web pages that can be served as a “static” site (i.e., does not require a database).

Ah, great, thanks! I’ll take a look at that presently, I intend! :slight_smile:

Whew!

Progress update: I’m well into writing the tutorial now, I believe. It’s taking longer than expected, in part because it’s turning out much larger than expected: I’m on lesson 9, using the code that I had intended for lesson 5, I believe. T-T

(For reference, this takes the tutorial game to the point of having models loaded, animation playing, the player-character moving under player control, simple collision, the player-character firing a laser under player control, a “walking” enemy chasing the player, and a “trap” enemy moving up or down when the player passes. There’s currently no response to damage, so neither player-character no walking-enemy dies. (The “trap” is invulnerable anyway.))

I am a little concerned that I’m being too long-winded–but conversely, I’m finding that there’s quite a lot that I feel is worth conveying to a beginner.

At the moment, I intend to go over what I’ve done thus far in the new week, and see whether there are any changes that I want to make. Once I’m reasonably happy, I want to upload the tutorial up to the end of Lesson 9 to my new GitHub repository, and let others see it and (hopefully) give feedback.

Jekyll is proving very handy! Thank you, @Moguri, for recommending it! :slight_smile:

Screenshot please !!! I hope the graphics are like in the Witcher 3. :slightly_smiling_face:

In the sense that they use polygonal objects rasterised to the screen, they’re just like in the Witcher 3! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I tweeted out this gif a few days ago. The tutorial hasn’t gotten as far as this shows just yet (this actually has the damage being taken, a UI, and so on), but it pretty much shows the game being built up, at least!

(I think that you may have to click through to see the gif in action. I seem to recall that I did try to upload a gif here–possibly that same one–but the forum didn’t seem to like it.)

1 Like

I started work on a PBR lighting sample based on the code rdb recently posted in the snippets section. It can be found here under tutorial_09 https://github.com/thetestgame/p3d_samples. It is done however it needs the sky and fog colors to adjust to the time of day. I may not have time to do this so if anyone wants to pick up the effort feel free. I can make a pull request ahead of time too if you prefer.

2 Likes

All right, I have the first eleven lessons up on GitHub, here:

I’m… not at all confident in how I’ve set it up. The process was rather unfamiliar to me. It looks like each individual page works for the most part, but the links between them are broken, as are the code-tags–despite the fact that everything works when I run a local build of the site. :/

(There’s a “lesson12” markup-file, but it’s a stub for the moment, as that’s the point at which I stopped before uploading.)

Feedback is welcome! :slight_smile:

(Feedback and pointing out what I’m supposed to do to get GitHub to display those pages correctly! >_<; )

How to run it at all, I did not find index.html?

I’m not sure of what’s supposed to be there–as I indicated, I’m still not sure of how one’s supposed to host a Jekyll site on GitHub–but if you just navigate to the “tutorial” folder, you should find each page as a “.markup” file. Opening those individually seems to work, for now–and barring the issues that I mentioned.

Sorry that it’s so unintuitive–I’m hoping that someone more familiar with the process will tell me what I’m doing wrong. :/

@Thaumaturge here are a couple of tutorials that may help:

Ah, thanks. I’ll take a look at those and see if they help! :slight_smile:

[edit]
… Ah. I may have to re-make the repository. One of the first steps involves having a specific extension at the end of the repository name… :/

[edit2]
Maybe not. It seems that I can rename the project. We’ll see if that works…

Ah, launched. I just thought it was a local site :slight_smile: It turned out it works from the web interface.

.markdown

Need to change links to web addresses with the extension .markdown

It… does…? Could you link me to that, please, because I’m not seeing it right now. ^^;

Also add a link to the first lesson in the README. https://github.com/ArsThaumaturgis/Panda3DTutorial.io/blob/master/tutorial/prologue.markdown

That’s not a bad thought, thanks.

(I’m still struggling to figure out how to get this thing to make a webpage for me. It really is starting to look like I might be required to re-make the repository… >_<; )

If you want your lesson to be viewed from a github, just change to the correct links.

https://github.com/ArsThaumaturgis/Panda3DTutorial.io/blob/master/tutorial/tut_lesson1.html
replace
https://github.com/ArsThaumaturgis/Panda3DTutorial.io/blob/master/tutorial/tut_lesson01.markdown

Hmm… That would work, but it’s not ideal, I fear. (For one thing, it would make local testing of the pages more awkward, I think.) Plus, it’s still not rendering correctly, so I think that something more is wrong. :/

And if you just rename the names.
tut_lesson01.markdown on tut_lesson1.html