New game

Oh, cool, will check out the update.

And by 3D i meant that the pieces could have volume in 3d space.

To put it in another way, now the pieces are landing on a line, in a 3d version the pieces would land on a square (or a plane) so you would have a new dimension to it.

I actually found an example here: 3dtris.de/ just click a level and see how it looks.
But since your objective is different, and not a tetris game, this might not really fit your plans. I myself would rather see a game based on your original plan than another not-too-original tetris variation.

I have packed this into a p3d file and embedded it on the project web page. You need the Panda3d runtime to play it of course. Enjoy!

http://zanz.p3dp.com/

I would love to get some feedback on what you people think of this.

I added a few new features including a couple models that look nicer for the 1x 2x 3x 4x multiplier. Has anyone played this game? Do you like it? Do you hate it?

I tested it.

But it’s 100% tetris right ?

Nicely done, no bug.

Your game gaved me nightmares man! crys Good game tho:)

well you made the good 'ol tetris then, I don’t get now: all this long post made me guess was a totally different stuff :slight_smile: - it works nice here no bugs to report
now you should improve it: how about to allow users to register and keep the best scores?

Actually this game will be more than just tetris as the concept at the beginning of the thread states. I just made a tetris clone out of it since it was so close to one already. Stay tuned for the real game to come.

your tetris is cool but with online highscore it would be even cooler…

I have made some mods to the falling blocks game. I just couldn’t leave it as is. There are now some directions on the start screen as well as on the game over screen. I made the next piece rotate around to look more interesting. There is also a new 3rd person view that you can toggle between where it moves the camera to see the formation’s perspective as it falls. This is definitely more challenging than the top-down view. Try it! You change to the view by pressing 2, press 1 to get back to normal view.

I can’t run it this time - it is complaining to not have a signature (isn’t just too picky the p3d webrunner? maybe should be more relaxed offering a choice to run beside to cancel it)

I totally forgot to sign it. Thanks, it should work now.

Here is a link to the site for those who don’t want to go back to page 1.

http://zanz.p3dp.com

now we got it - a piece of advice: I find so natural to use the down arrow to make drop a block instead to use the spacebar, could you please add such a feature?
also, what about the scoreboard? if you don’t have a webspace with scripting or just don’t know how to make it I could help you on that using my website and provide a php script for you and store the scores.

The network code for the scoreboard would be easy. The main issue is storing the scores. I do not have a place to host a server app that I want the world connected to. I can certainly write the networking code to send and retrieve the scores to/from somewhere if you want to host a small server app to serve the scores to the clients. Just tell me the ip address and format that the datagrams will be in and I will add it to my code. How would you store the score on your website? Would you persist it into a database or a flat file?

Great work.

I started writing the stuff - actually you shouldn’t write a single line - I’ll provide you the piece of python to put in your game, with comments on how to interface it. ASA finished I’ll hit you with a PM.

astelix: Check your inbox

Scoreboard is almost done!

Ok folks, there is now a high score list on the game. Let the competition to be on the top 10 list begin!

edit: I removed the link to the free site since it is no longer there

I have gotten all the logic worked out for the formations to move to the center from either side of the field. Now I will begin adding in the networking code to allow for multiplayer action. I will be using panda’s distributed object system for this most likely since I <3 abstracted networking.

good choice zanz - I’m looking forward to see what you’re going to do with that.