new features for shader system

Wei-Feng Huang, was never heard from again...

I can assure he is still alive…

Sorry for the late reply, guys :blush:

We received your precious opinions and discuss the feasibility carefully nowadays.
“Passing Vec3 or Matrix arrays to shader” has been done by our teammates memecss. In fact, all the 119 inputs in Cg are supported on panda3D now, this is part of our project, and currently we try to documenting the usage of these inputs and writing some examples for them.

We also try to improving the shader generator(making switches for the auto shader generator, let people have more individual control over auto shader), adding motion blur, fuzz filters are also taken into our consideration. Sorry for the ambiguous statement above, we are looking for the opinions for both shader system and shader generator.

I apologized for the late reply again, we try to conclude what we are going to do for the next step, and we really want to do something for the panda community. Thanks for everyone in the community sharing their advices with us.

Best Regards,
Wei-Feng Huang

Wei-Feng Huang
Graduate Student
Entertainment Technology Center
Carnegie Mellon University

That sounds fantastic :smiley:

Not all of them actually. Only the numeric types (plus arrays of them).

I would like to add my support to getting fog working with the shader system.

according to the manual,

so getting the texgen modes in too, so that the shader generator is finally caught up with the old system?

but i wouldn’t mind if you put something new and snazzy in instead :slight_smile:

I think panda3d is missing some optimalization. I think you could have a look at the wrapper and try to add some sharing system.

So that, for example, DOF could use the blur by the blur shader, instead of generating a new one. Also I loved the idea of pre-AO. Maybe you could do something like that. So we won’t have to use 3rd party s/w to generate lightmaps & etc.

Hopefully I said it clearly.