Need ubuntu dapper installation help [solved]

Hello. I successfully(?) installed panda on dapper. However, when running my tutorial, my console spit this out at me:

DirectStart: Starting the game.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “tutorial.py”, line 1, in ?
import direct.directbase.DirectStart
File “debtmp/usr/share/panda3d/direct/src/directbase/DirectStart.py”, line 3, in ?
File “debtmp/usr/share/panda3d/direct/src/showbase/ShowBase.py”, line 6, in ?
File “/usr/share/panda3d/pandac/PandaModules.py”, line 1, in ?
from libpandaexpressModules import *
File “/usr/share/panda3d/pandac/libpandaexpressModules.py”, line 1, in ?
from libpandaexpress import *
ImportError: libssl.so.0.9.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I am fairly new to ubuntu and don’t quite understand this output. The closest conclusion I made was that something seems to be messed up with locating the files. All files are in their directories except for the debtmp. I do not know what that is and cannot locate such a directory on my system. The .pth file is fine and says /usr/share/panda3d. Is there something else i need to change such as maybe that libssl thing? Oh and i used the breezy deb binary for installation. Any help is greatly appreciated. Take care.

Upo.

It is trying to locate a file called libssl.so.0.9.7, which it needs to be able to find at runtime. This is a dynamic runtime library.

If this file is not in /usr/lib, you may need to define your LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable to contain the directory in which this file can be found.

David

wow do i feel stupid hehe…i was making it more cryptic than it needed to be. thanks david. after rereading it was pretty straightforward. and seeing as how i have 9.8 i can see why it wouldn’t find it. i was able to makepanda, now just trying to make a deb package to install it correctly. couldn’t get the installer option to work. read the instructions for manual installation, but probably making that out to be just as crytpic.

thanks again.

take care.
upo.

woo hoo!!! i got my grey screen. what a thrill. no joke. instead of doing it the hard way i just apt-get the file it needed. consider the problem solved.

take care.

upo.