metric vs standard

I had my artist create a 1 meter cube in 3ds max and export it as an egg. I found that in order for copies of the model to align themselves properly in Panda, I have to scale them all down by 0.0254. This is obviously a case of unit conversion between inches and meters (1 in = 0.0254 m).

I would assume that Panda itself doesn’t have a concept of meters or inches, and that the problem lies in the modeling or export process. Is that true, or does the engine default to inches? What do we need to change, either in max or in code, so that I can use metric during programming, without manually scaling every model?

It is absolutely true that Panda neither knows nor cares what kind of units you are using. Therefore, the problem is almost certainly either in Max itself, or in the Max2egg converter.

I have no experience with either of these; is there someone who has used Max with Panda with some insight here?

David

Okay, I just did two experiments.

Then, I went to the MAX “Customize” menu, “Units Setup”, and selected “Metric (meters).” I then created a cube which was 1 meter in length, width, and height. I exported this cube using the Max egg exporter. The resulting egg was about 30x30x30. This seems to be the situation you are experiencing.

First, I went to the MAX “Customize” menu, “Units Setup”, and selected “Generic Units.” I then created a cube which was 1 generic unit in length, width, and height. I exported this cube using the Max egg exporter. The resulting egg was 1x1x1.

My suggestion would be to configure max for “generic units,” and thereby disable all of max’s internal scaling.