Menu & Frame Help and Questions

I’ve got a few questions on making my menu:

Image of my menu so far:

Q1:

I want to make borders around my main frame of the menu. I have not really seen anything on how to make a border going through the manual or I just did not see the section.

So if you can point me in the right direction that would be good!

Code for my main frame:

science_frame = DirectFrame(frameSize=(-0.7, 0.7, -0.4, 0.51), frameColor=(.23,.25,.24,.5), pos=(0,0,0))

In the image above the main frame is the whole menu you see.

Q2:

Is there an easy way to make borders around that span the whole menu as you see in the image Planet Name, Planet Type, Station.

I want it to span across the whole menu from left to right as it shows but I had to do it some sloppy way as in the code below to get this effect:

menu_header = OnscreenText(text = "  PLANET NAME     |     PLANET TYPE     |     STATION     |                                                                                      |", pos = (-0.7, 0.27), scale=(0.03, 0.03), fg=(1, 1, 1, 1), align=TextNode.ALeft, frame=(1,1,1,1)).reparentTo(planet_frame)

As you can see that code does not make sense to do it that way because I have this huge space that I need to do and use the | character to space it out.

Is there a way to do the same thing but without having to do it that way?

Q3:

As you see in the image Planet 1, Planet 2, etc. Is there a way to do borders around each of those as they are printed so they match up and align correctly and set a border width such as: Print this text here and then space like 10 spaces afterwards to here.

The code I use for printing out the planet names is this:

pos_x = -0.7
    pos_y = 0.22

#Loop through as many times as there are planets and display the planet names
    #Also spaces out the names by added .05 (or whatever looks best) to the y spacing (or z forget if screen coor are x and z or x and y but I still know what it does)

while counter <= num_of_planets:
        OnscreenText(text = 'Planet   %s         |' %(counter), pos = (pos_x, pos_y), scale=(0.04, 0.04), fg=(1, 1, 1, 1), frame=(1,1,1,1), align=TextNode.ALeft)

pos_y = pos_y - 0.05
        counter = counter + 1

I know there should be a better way so it prints out all nice sort of like how an excel spread sheet looks.

Q4:

Can I have just a border around my buttons? I know there is a way I read something about it but I couldent figure it out and or it just did not work.

This is my button code:

planet_button = DirectButton( text = ("PLANETS"), relief=None, text_fg=(1, 1, 1, 1), text_scale=(0.04, 0.04), pos=(-0.6, 0, 0.31) ).reparentTo(science_frame)

moon_button = DirectButton( text = ("MOONS"), relief=0, text_fg=(1, 1, 1, 1), text_scale=(0.04, 0.04), pos=(-0.4, 0, 0.31) ).reparentTo(science_frame)

research_button = DirectButton( text = ("RESEARCH"), relief=0, text_fg=(1, 1, 1, 1), text_scale=(0.04, 0.04), pos=(-0.18, 0, 0.31) ).reparentTo(science_frame)

So any help would be great! Still new to panda but learing as I go and having fun!

Here is my full code just incase you need it and please feel free to tell me how I could do anything in my code better (as long as its not too complex as still being new lol)

def science_menu():
    from direct.gui.DirectGui import *
    from direct.gui.OnscreenText import OnscreenText
    from pandac.PandaModules import TextNode

science_frame = DirectFrame(frameSize=(-0.7, 0.7, -0.4, 0.51), frameColor=(.23,.25,.24,.5), pos=(0,0,0))
    #planet_frame = DirectFrame(frameSize=(-0.7, 0.7, -0.4, 0.3), frameColor=(.23,.25,.24,1), pos=(0,0,0))
    #moon_frame = DirectFrame(frameSize=(-0.7, 0.7, -0.4, 0.3), frameColor=(.23,.25,.24,1), pos=(0,0,0))
    #research_frame = DirectFrame(frameSize=(-0.7, 0.7, -0.4, 0.3), frameColor=(.23,.25,.24,1), pos=(0,0,0))

planet_button = DirectButton( text = ("PLANETS"), relief=None, text_fg=(1, 1, 1, 1), text_scale=(0.04, 0.04), pos=(-0.6, 0, 0.31) ).reparentTo(science_frame)
    moon_button = DirectButton( text = ("MOONS"), relief=0, text_fg=(1, 1, 1, 1), text_scale=(0.04, 0.04), pos=(-0.4, 0, 0.31) ).reparentTo(science_frame)
    research_button = DirectButton( text = ("RESEARCH"), relief=0, text_fg=(1, 1, 1, 1), text_scale=(0.04, 0.04), pos=(-0.18, 0, 0.31) ).reparentTo(science_frame)

menu_header = OnscreenText(text = "Science & Industry", pos = (-0.21, 0.40), scale=(0.065, 0.065), fg=(1, 1, 1, 1))

#Create the buttons, frames, and text for the menu and position it
    science_image = OnscreenImage(image = 'eve_rts/menu/gui/science_images/science_ind.jpg', pos=(-0.6, 0, 0.43), scale=(.08,.07,.07)).reparentTo(science_frame)

#Display the Planets frame, This can probaly be made into its own function
    #Get the number of planets in the system
    num_of_planets = len(base.planets)

#Create a frame for the planet info
    planet_frame = DirectFrame(frameSize=(-0.7, 0.7, -0.4, 0.3), frameColor=(.23,.25,.24,1), pos=(0,0,0))

#Create the planet frame header.  Using cheep way to space it out until I can figure out how to do it a better way...
    menu_header = OnscreenText(text = "  PLANET NAME     |     PLANET TYPE     |     STATION     |                                                                                      |", pos = (-0.7, 0.27), scale=(0.03, 0.03), fg=(1, 1, 1, 1), align=TextNode.ALeft, frame=(1,1,1,1)).reparentTo(planet_frame)

#Make a counter for the while loop and set the position for the first planet name to display
    counter = 1
    pos_x = -0.7
    pos_y = 0.22

#Loop through as many times as there are planets and display the planet names
    #Also spaces out the names by added .05 (or whatever looks best) to the y spacing (or z forget if screen coor are x and z or x and y but I still know what it does)
    while counter <= num_of_planets:
        OnscreenText(text = 'Planet   %s         |' %(counter), pos = (pos_x, pos_y), scale=(0.04, 0.04), fg=(1, 1, 1, 1), frame=(1,1,1,1), align=TextNode.ALeft)
        pos_y = pos_y - 0.05
        counter = counter + 1

Those questions seem regarding borders; please, could you check into this page the entry borderWidht (as you can see, it’s related to relief)? Does this help you?