Maya2Egg + nice rigs + trax = awesome (i think?!)

I just want to make sure this is really working the way I think it is, because if so I’m pretty impressed. If it doesn’t work the way I think it does someone please tell me because that’s gonna mess up my whole workflow for a deadline next Tuesday :stuck_out_tongue::

From experience with other, older maya-to-game-engine export workflows, I’m in the habit of building all my animations in the main timeline, and using bake simulation to apply the effects of all the ik handles, constraint controls, driven keys, and other rigging tricks directly to the joints before exporting.

However, it seems like you don’t have to do that with the Panda exporter. I set up my rig in the usual way and just exported it without any intermediate steps, and it just worked! I also tried converting animation into Character clips, to build up the library of motions, then just instanced them in Trax, and exported; again, it worked!

Is maya2egg really that awesome, or is it secretly baking everything to a vertex animation flipbook or something?

Also: Is there somewhere I can upload contributed builds of maya2egg2008 and maya2egg2009 for linux? Or should I just host them on my own site?

Well, maya2egg is automatically baking these effects into the joint animation as it converts; I don’t know whether that’s what you consider awesome or not. Panda doesn’t include IK, constraints, driven keys, or any of that fancy stuff; and even if it did, it probably wouldn’t exactly match Maya’s similar constructs–so you can’t reliably convert an animation by converting all of these high-level concepts. Instead, you have to bake the animation into the joints, and export the resulting joint animation. However, it is saving and playing back joint animation; it’s not just vertex animation.

As to contributed builds, I bet there’s a place for them here. But you’d have to take that up with pro-rsoft and/or MikeC, both of whom are independently on vacation this week. In the meantime, hosting them on your own space, if you can do that easily, sounds like a decent short-term solution.

David

True. I guess I mean that it’s pretty awesome that it does the baking for you :slight_smile:

I’ll go ahead and host the builds myself for the moment, it’s no problem. I’ll post the link when I have a nice page set up.

Also, for the record, Panda is the oldest game engine I know of that includes a maya-to-egg conversion pathway. If you count its heritage all the way back to the early 90’s, it might well be the oldest game engine still in active development. :slight_smile:

David

We’ve shipped the linux builds with Maya exporters in the past. We don’t do that anymore as we haven’t found the right, legal, way to do it yet - in a way that it isn’t a terrible mess to make new Panda releases every time.

If we decide to build the linux releases internally again (gack), instead of through an OSS build farm, we might be able to ship the official Linux releases with Maya exporters again - we’d probably have separate rpms and debs (like, panda3d-maya packages or so).

But at this moment the linux release building is a mess, and I have yet to see how 1.7.0 will be built, so I can’t foretell what will be happening in the future.

If the community provides builds, I’d be happy to upload them as currently all the rpms for 1.6.2 are down. Not until in about 2 weeks, though, as I have a plane to catch right now. So if you can’t find a place to upload, ask forum user ‘saudia’, he’ll be able to upload it I’m sure.

@drwr: hey, that’s cool info. I didn’t know the Maya support was around for that long.

Technically, that was earlier than Maya itself. Maya’s predecessor was called Alias, and we had alias2egg from back in the early days. :slight_smile:

David