Materials/Textures in .egg file exported from Blender

Hi to everyone. I’m new to Panda3D, and I’m italian, so please forgive me if my english is not correct :wink: .

Well, I have installed Panda3D 1.7.0 a month ago and I’ve tried to follow some tutorials. I’m using Visual C++ 2008 Express on Windows Vista.
I have tried to import an object made with Blender 2.49b ( Python 2.6.5 ), and I’ve saved it with .egg extension using this: http://www.wickwack.com/panda/ .
When I load it with:

NodePath m = window->load_model(framework.get_models(), "/c/prova.egg");
  m.reparent_to(window->get_render());

the object appear on the scene, but it’s totally white, while in Blender I set it red. Why ?
Do I have to set something in Blender or in the script ?

I also have a problem with the most famous Chicken R91. When I run it, a thing similar to a “selection menu” ( if I can define it in this way… ) appears on the screen… but the text is over the Blender window, so I can’t read…
This is the screen : http://i47.tinypic.com/2dsn480.jpg
What can I do?

Thank you in advance =)

materials wont show up until you add a light into your scene. doing so should bring them up.
the exporter you use is very old and not recommended.

for how to install and run chicken, please read the documentation (it’s part of the chicken download). you’r not supposed to “open” the chicken script as textfile but to run it as script.

Note that only the relative values of diffuse and specular are exported. Beside textures that is. And note that those relative values look all different in Panda since Panda uses a different shader.

And… you’re using chicken terribly wrong. Take a look at its manual.

In the scene I already have the default light that Blender set with the cube and the camera. I have tried to increment the energy of the light but I obtained the same result…

For Chicken I have just found the problem… It’s my fault :stuck_out_tongue: . I have copied only the “chicken_export.py” because I tought that the directories were only existing libraries… ( I don’t know why I thought so… )
Then I tried to export in .egg but the object is always white… :unamused:
The “text” at the right of the screenshot is of EggX. When I made it I didn’t know how to make a Script appear in the Export menu.

If I try “pview” in Chicken: it shows the white object and a grey background. Like a mask, it shows only the shape.
I also tried to export with the Lamp and the Object both selected.

What can I try ?

Thanks for helping =)

In pview press L to enable lights and P for ‘per pixel’ lightning.

You can’t get Blender lights and cameras to panda (I’m not sure if egg format even (should) supports lights and cameras).

You can’t get the complete materials to Panda3d. But you can’t blame Panda3d for that, I don’t know of an engine that can do that.

There might be a way to dump the GLSL material shader from Blender but thats a different story.

Yes! :smiley: When I press ‘L’ I can see the object!
But it export in the same way…
What can I do for make materials or color visibile in a Panda application ?

You might want to have a look at the panda3d manual. You will find answers like this faster than posting the question in forums.

In this case you’ll need to add light(s) and tell it what to illuminate. But its all in the manual: panda3d.org/manual/index.php/Lighting

I’m not sure how to have material colours work without lightning other than having a single color texture applied with that color. There should be a way but I never needed that.
Hm, but you can use vertex colours…
One way of doing it: