Mac users: do we still need to support Tiger and ppc?

Many of the thirdparty packages that we rely on have long removed support for ppc and 10.4 OS X, and I’m not sure how many people in the community are even using it. I keep having to fix the build and thirdparty packages for ppc, and I’m wondering if it still worth the extra effort.

Currently, I’m building the SDK for 10.5, but the rtdist and runtime builds remain available for 10.4. All builds are available for ppc and i386 (x86_64 support will be in next major release).

Is it OK to drop support entirely in the next major release, or are there still significant benefits in maintaining support?

I recently evicted the last PPC computer from my house, and I havent used one personally in years. Apple dropped support for any os that can run on them ~2 years ago. They don’t even do security patches anymore as far as I know.

Its nice that panda supports hardware longer than Apple, but 2 years longer is probably enough. Maybe list the last version that works with PPC incase anyone cares (I doubt it), but I for one would much rather have just about anything else worked on than PPC support.

I’m pretty sure you can drop support for PowerPC and Mac OS X.4. People with a PowerMac G5 or PowerBook G4 usually run X.5, since that is the last system running on these machines and is generally considered to be far better than X.4.

As for PowerPC. Well, I honestly can’t remember when I saw a PowerPC Mac for the last time. The good old PowerMac G5 towers were relatively persistent in print shops and some university faculties (think video editing), but those are long gone. I read a german video editing forum from time to time and even the nostalgics replaced their G5s at some point. I know one person who kept her iMac G5 stored in the basement for years “just in case” and recently sold it. I do know that there’s a bit of demand for older second-hand PowerMacs (judging from eBay sales). Looks like people still buy iMac G5s in the 100-150 Euros range as an entry level Mac, secondary computer or for their kids. PowerMac G5 or PowerBook G4s are, as far as I can tell, not among those sales.

I don’t see a PowerMac anywhere I go anymore. Not in the university library, not in the faculties, not in people’s homes.

The first Intel Macs (iMacs and MacBook Pros) came with Mac OS X.4.x. In recent memory I remember only one person still running this original setup. Everybody else I remember with an Intel Mac had either X.5 or - more often - X.6 and newer. X.7 was a bit unpopular among advanced users (I skipped it, too), so there you will find X.6 or X.8. I recently upgraded my two machines to X.8.

To sum up: X.4 can be certainly dropped. PowerMac owners should be considered X.5 users and can be dropped too. Aiming at Intel Mac users, I suggest one should consider X.5 and newer - and even support for X.5 can be debated.