Looking-and-Gripping Error After Applying XP SP3?

After working fine for many months, Looking-and-Gripping (and my own experimental game!) fails with the error below after applying XP SP3, though Roaming Ralph works fine. Trying to fix the problem, I’ve installed the latest Direct X and tried changing the framebuffer-hardware/software and load-display pandagl/pandadx8 parameters in Config.prc but no joy. Any thoughts?
Brian

D:\Panda3D-1.5.0\samples\Looking-and-Gripping>DirectStart: Starting the game.
Warning: DirectNotify: category ‘Interval’ already exists
Known pipe types:
wglGraphicsPipe
(all display modules loaded.)
:display(error): The application requested harware acceleration, but your OpenGL

:display(error): driver, GDI Generic, only supports software rendering.
:display(error): You need to install a hardware-accelerated OpenGL driver, or,
:display(error): if you actually want to use a software renderer, then
:display(error): alter the hardware/software configuration in your Config.prc fi
le.
:display(error): Window wouldn’t open; abandoning window.
:11-19-2008 19:39:05 ShowBase(warning): Unable to open ‘onscreen’ window.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “Tut-Looking-and-Gripping.py”, line 13, in
import direct.directbase.DirectStart
File “D:\Panda3D-1.5.0\direct\src\directbase\DirectStart.py”, line 4, in
ShowBase.ShowBase()
File “D:\Panda3D-1.5.0\direct\src\showbase\ShowBase.py”, line 240, in init

self.openDefaultWindow(startDirect = False, props=props)

File “D:\Panda3D-1.5.0\direct\src\showbase\ShowBase.py”, line 705, in openDefa
ultWindow
raise StandardError, ‘Could not open window.’
StandardError: Could not open window.

As a wild guess, i would say that Windows XP SP3 does not recognize properly your 3D Card.
For me it was not the 3D card but the integrated wifi card that was perfectly detected in XP SP2 and that XP SP3 was detecting as a f.cking sound card !!!

Also make sure that you have installed the latest graphics drivers from your graphics card manufacturer.

The error message you see is displayed when you run Panda with the basic Microsoft-provided graphics drivers, which have no knowledge of your special hardware and provide no hardware acceleration capability. (Normally, you would have a driver installed from your graphics card manufacturer that knows how to use the hardware acceleration on your particular card.)

Maybe when you installed SP3 it overwrote your special drivers with standard Microsoft drivers. Or maybe the hardware drivers you were running are incompatible with SP3, and you need to get new ones. Or, as Manakel guesses, maybe it no longer recognizes your card, and is falling back to the standard Microsoft drivers.

David

Thanks for those; in fact the demos (and my game) work if I change the name of the Config.prc file so it presumable takes all the defaults!
Brian

Be warned: it may be working in software emulation mode only. This will work fine, but performance will be poor.

David

Everything now works fine again.
Brian