Links to lots of models and another tutorial for Panda

Hiya Folks,

I’ve finished the tutorial in the manual (getting the panda to walk over a grassy scene) which taught me a great deal. But sadly, not enough. The tutorial feels like it isn’t quite finished yet (which it probably isn’t :unamused:) because it left me hanging with lots of unanswered questions.

So I spent the day reading through the Panda forums, trying to learn as much as I can about scripting in Panda, in particular, how to manually control an actor and the camera.

Well, I came across mention of another Panda demo and tutorial (this one going a little more in depth than the one in the manual). And after searching for a bit, I’m happy to say that I’ve found it, here is the link: etc.cmu.edu/bvw/scripter.html

Note to Panda3D People: You really should put this link on the web site somewhere, maybe in ‘Documentation’ or something, cause I had no idea that it even existed and it was just what I was looking for :smiley:.

Anyway, from the same website, I also came across hundreds of free models. The models are available in both Alice and Panda formats. Here is the link: alice.org/pandagallery/

Hope this helps somebody, cause it sure helped me :smiley:.

Cheers

Great Resource.

But would it be problem to add a c++ section too?

We and other really would like to use panda3d under c++
and we lake in information.

Thanks for the post. Ive just added the appropriate section to the manual.

You’re right, that tutorial really is better. Did you notice the tutorials in the start menu, as well?

The alice models have already been incorporated into the panda model collection. Not all of the alice models actually work in panda, though, so what’s left after discarding the broken ones isn’t that many.

Hi Josh,

Yep, I sure did find the tutorials in the start menu. I’ve been poreing over them for days :laughing:. They’re marvellous! But, they didn’t really cover what I needed, namely, how to move a player and how to make the camera follow that player.

Those tutorials are terrific for showing how to build nice 3d animated scenes, but what I’m mostly interested in, is how to programe a game (Yeah! Major delusions of grandeur here :laughing:).

I’m slowly working my way through the new tutorial, when I’m finished, I’m going to try my hand at writing some different actor and camera control scripts. Just to see what’s possible.

That news about the models is a real bummer though. Ah well, I’ll just have to make some myself :smiley:.

Cheers