Limits of getTightBounds()

I would have tested this, but my current app does not involve Actors (animated geometry).

Can getTightBounds be called for the Actor Class or is it for non Actor objects only?

Non Actors do not change in size because of the static geometry, so it wouldn’t surprise me if getTightBounds did not work on the Actor Class (unless the bounds for Actors is static as well).

PS,

I’m going Modular with everything I do now, so development time will greatly speed up as I develop projects because I will be able to import well written, professional logic for any kind of game (genre).

For example… I created a module which creates a Radar like mini map on the screen. Objects not in view will have an out of bounds icon hugging the sides of the mini map while objects in view will have an inbounds icon. The player icon indicates direction so you can see where you’re headed and how far away a target is. This is very similar to what you see in MMORPG games now.

Further more… My mini map module accommodates for height (that is, the Z axis). Objects that move/fly can have different icons/colors that tells the “gamer” how for up or how far down a target is.

I also created a Level Load Module which not only loads a level but allows me to set world wrap to true or false. With world wrap true, objects that move/fly pass a particular point will warp to the other side of the level (even enemies that are in persuit). This effect is good for games where you need the world to truly be round; an example would be a game were a chopper is flown over an entire world.

I created a space module as well. The Space Module stimulates out of space…creating starts and space gases. Just like space is endless…my space module creates a space with no level bounds. Of course, I could pass arguments to it and indeed create a warp effect like my Level Load module.

I will write logic for two kinds of collision checking. One using Panda’s Collision Barriers capability and the other using pure mathematics (my favorite). I will be able to tell my collision system which method to use for an object and the collision system will do the rest (regardless of object size). I hope I can do the pure mathematics one tomorrow.

I also created Enemy AI for flying vehicle types, along with bullet AI. The AI includes two modes so far; “closein” and “chase_pnt1”.

Flying Enemy AI during a “closein” will indeed chase after the “gamer” and once they get close enough…they start firing away. If the “gamer” turns around and close in on the Enemy, the Enemy will attempt to flee and shake off the “gamer’s” pursuit. This looks so freaking awsome; you wouldn’t believe the code behind it.

Later, I will be able to extend that flying Enemy AI to enemies that move along a terrain (that will be easy enough; the only change is the behavior of the Z axis).

I will continue to create Intelligent Modules and extend ones already made as I cover every game genre. The idea is to allow a single person Game Developer to spend most of their time creating graphics, textures, music, sound effects, CGIs, animations and coding together the “App” side of things.

Development time at the least will be cut in half because all major logic (code) can be imported instead of written over and over again. Example, I will be able to just create a character instance, feed it argument values and instantly have an actor on screen who can move around…walking, running, jumping, attacking, etc., with the graphics I specify.

This is something I wish I would have done back when I first started using P3D.

I can’t believe I started a new project just several days ago and already I am just about to the point where I can start doing all the graphics/animations and mending the game together storyline and gameplay wise.

I should be able to create quite a number of Freeware/Member Apps this year, but of course I will not be displaying any of that work here in the Panda Forums. Don’t want to be accused of anything.