Level Editor

I am having trouble getting the level editor to work. I was able to get it working in either the 1.3 or 1.4 release, but for some reason now it just won’t work for me. The path is “C:\Panda3D-1.4.1\direct\src\leveleditor.” When I try to start it with the command “ppython LevelEditor.py,” I receive an error saying…

DirectStart: Starting the game.
Warning: DirectNotify: category 'Interval' already exists
Known pipe types:
  wglGraphicsPipe
(3 aux display modules not yet loaded.)
:util(warning): Adjusting global clock's real time by 0.902017 seconds.
C:\Panda3D-1.4.1\python\lib\whrandom.py:38: DeprecationWarning: the whrandom module is deprecated; please use the random module
  DeprecationWarning)
Loading LevelEditor for hoods:  ['TT', 'DD', 'BR', 'DG', 'DL', 'MM', 'CC', 'CL', 'CM', 'CS', 'GS']
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "LevelEditor.py", line 227, in ?
    __builtin__.DNASTORE = DNASTORE = DNAStorage()
NameError: name 'DNAStorage' is not defined

I am currently using python 2.5. Maybe I am using the wrong scene editor, but this is the only file I could find. Any help would be greatly appreciated :smiley:

Wrong scene editor. This one is specific to Toontown and isn’t really useful to the general community.

Try searching the forums for “SceneEditor”.

David

Where is the SceneEditor? I have searched all through the panda 1.4.1 folder and can’t find it. The search only brings up files like scene graph, etc. I’m sure that I saw a special folder when I used it in an earlier version. If it isn’t included in this distribution, does anyone know what the newest distribution is with the SceneEditor?

Thanks, and sorry for the noobish question. :blush:

I removed it. It hasn’t worked in ages, and newbies keep trying to use it, which only causes trouble. I plan on sticking it on a website somewhere, and letting people do whatever they want with it. For now, you could always download an old version of panda3d and extract the scene editor from that, if you felt like fixing it.

Thanks for the response-

I think I’ll find it in one of the old releases. I have really been getting into python and I would like to see what I can do to it. :astonished:

SceneEditor plane sux don’t use it.

If he wants to fix it, let him :wink:

I would not say that SceneEditor suks. It’s TKINTER/PMW that sucks a lot.

The SceneEditor is nice (you can move, translate,animate and so on…)
as long as you don’t click out of Focus…

Here TKINTER crashes :frowning:

But there is a lot of tips to make a placer, a blender ,to show the tasks, to edits force systems and particles…etc…
Only GUI controls are very outdated in term of look and ergonomics…

I think once my first child is “downloaded” (Within 6 weeks) i may try to port the scene editor to another GUI system… not sure yet…

How about the crossplatform wxPython? :wink:

I was more thinking about PyGTK2 because of the magic tree controls they have… not sure yet… I feel GUI is a pain in the ass to develop 90% of the time

in game gui only!

That would be amazing :wink:…our own editor is in the works and we’ll share obviously, but a working sceneeditor with pygtk2 gui would surely be a nice addition on the ‘features’ page,- yes I dont doubt that at all :wink:

let me know how it goes either here or feel free to come into IRC:

irc.freenode.net
#panda3d
#heartseed-our game room

cheers
nl

Hello Im new to panda3d and only been using it for about two weeks and I was wondering if it would even be possible to use wxPython to make a scene editor. Im tring to do it but panda keeps on setting up its own window along with the window I created. My question is how can I initialize panda3d without using run() or directBase.DirectStart. If I can figure out how to make panda run in the window I choose , I will make a project manager program… Thank’s

Look at this thread:
discourse.panda3d.org/viewtopic.php?t=2487
That thread contains some code which might be useful to you.

Yeah, I found it yesterday. Thanks tho for the reply.