im too new i need lots of help!

im am new and i need help!
you see i wanna make a game but when i wanna start panda3d with the comand prompt it doesnt work.i even followed the instructions and it still doesnt work and its installed properly.i cant show the panda screen it just get an error.

So you “even followed” instructions this time?

what375, people like to help people, but they don’t like to help people that pass them selfs off as clueless noobs who any amount of help would not save, learn to ask better questions with descriptive information. Got it?

Some thing you should have said is what os you run? what kind of error do you get? without command prompt it works? Describe what problems you have showing the error. What does the error say?

on the off chance i am right try start panda with “ppython”
People who code in python in windows before normally install python first then panda3d and have panda3d not work because it installs its own python which you can get with ppython.

But you probably have a completely different problem and we have no clue what it is because of the information you provided.

it says:

traceback(most recent call last)
file damit.py line in ?
import direct.directbase.DirectStart
importerror: no module named direct.directbase.DirectStart

OK, that means that it can’t find the panda3d installation. Two questions:

1. What operating system do you use: Windows, Mac, Linux?
  2. How did you start damit.py?

i use windows xp home edition. and i tryed to start damit.py in the command prompt.

On the command prompt, did you type the following:

ppython damit.py

As treeform wrote, you need to make sure to use ppython instead of python.

oh i though u put python not ppython oh well but one more thing how can u update your codes when u cant write in the command prompt?

You can work on your codes in notepad if you want,
but you can use a python editor for that also.

I found this guide that helps you with every step:
www.panda3d.org/manual/index.php/Start … e_Beginner

You have already made your own python script damit.py, so you should go the the step “Running Your Script and Starting Panda3D”. There you see how to open the command prompt so that you can type in it.

That’s not true anymore. It IS just python now. However, using a python IDE would be a better way than using the command prompt and notepad anyway.

T Rex, it’s true what you’re saying that it is python. But, if you have installed a separate python version which overwrites the current default python, ppython distincts itself by pointing to Panda’s python.

So ppython is definately very useful to not get confused with other python’s installed on your system.

how can i update codes? :question:

What do you mean by “codes”?

u now like this one i dont know how to update my code.

this is a script to update with the code

#Load the first environment model
environ = loader.loadModel(“models/environment”)
environ.reparentTo(render)
environ.setScale(0.25,0.25,0.25)
environ.setPos(-8,42,0)
#Run the tutorial
run()

where is the code?i

OK, I think I understand: the script you posted is in the file damit.py. Now to run this script:

1. Open the command prompt by clicking ‘Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt’.

2. Go to the directory where you put damit.py. For example, if damit.py is in C:\panda3d, you type:

cd C:\panda
  1. Run the script by typing
ppython damit.py

I hope this works, because I don’t have Windows myself.

well i know how to open panda 3d but i dont know how to put models and those other objects.thx though cause yesterday i didnt work but now it does. :smiley:

You need to open damit.py with a text editor (like notepad, or pspad).
If you have opened it you can put the programming code in there. Then save it under the same name and run it using ppython like you already did before.

k ill try

well i used pspad then opened panda 3d but then it just looks like a grey empty screen.i put it this way in the pspad.please tell me if its ok or not.

run() 
environ = loader.loadModel("models/environment") 
environ.setPos(-8,42,0) 
#Run the tutorial 
run() 

can u put it the correct way so i can know how to do it myself.thanks.

All I get is a grey screen with that one also.
There’s a tutorial in the manual that shows
you how to load up a basic scene though,
just go to the documentation tab in the links above.
It looks like you have two ‘run’ commands in your code,
I don’t know about that, get rid of the first run,

environ = loader.loadModel("models/environment")
environ.setPos(-8,42,0)
#Run the tutorial
run()