i have a question about panda3d

Ok so this engine was made from Disney.

I would like to ask

If there’s any disney Developer here.

Since this is part of Disney.

The question i would like to ask the Disney Devs.
Is.
For Toontown could it be possible if i can help build a new version of Toontown? Like it would be called Cogtown. You would start as a level 1 cog and do tasks as a cog. But insted the computers would be Toons.
It would be very hard to make. But i would like to ask if this is possible.

Im Sorry if this is off-topic if it is can u move it to the correct forum?
Thank you!

first off. i’m not one of the dev’s

but if you want to make a game. i guess disney will not help you just like that. there is good support from the dev’s for the engine itself and engine-specific coding issues. so if you have trouble using it, or you found a bug or anything. chances are that you get help with this specific problem. but they wont develop your game :wink:

of course you can use panda to develop toontown-like games. but be aware,not everything used to develop toontown was released to the public. namly the (most important) server-stuff.

ps: i dunno exactly who owns what or what at all. but keep in mind that the guys from cmu(? correct?) also do a lot of work with panda.

I am a Disney employee, but not a Disney representative–keep in mind that I do not speak for Disney; I can only speak for myself.

However, I am certain that Disney would not approve of such a project. First, if you plan to make such a thing using the assets from Toontown, you should know that those assets are copyrighted, so if you used them in a new game of your own design you would be breaking the law. I know you wouldn’t be trying to break the law; it’s cool that you enjoy Toontown and feel inspired by it to make a new and different game. And that’s very flattering; I’m glad to know you like Toontown so much. But, even with your good intentions, it’s still against the law, and there’s nothing I can do to change that or help you work around it.

Even if you didn’t use the assets directly from Toontown, but instead created your own Cog and Toon models from scratch, if they were sufficiently similar to Disney’s Cog and Toon models, it could still be construed as a violation of copyright and therefore against the law.

You could probably get away with creating your own Cog and Toon models that didn’t much resemble Disney’s models, and creating your own game that doesn’t much resemble Toontown. That would probably be OK, legally, especially if you didn’t call them “Cogs” and “Toons”. You probably shouldn’t even call this game “Cogtown”, since that’s too similar to “Toontown”.

It would be much better, though, if you worked on a game that has nothing at all to do with Toontown, Toons, or Cogs. I bet you could use Panda to create a great game that’s new and different and doesn’t resemble any of Disney’s existing games in any way. Now that would be cool!

David

I know.

I wouldnt really want to break the law.
I was just making an suggestion since i cant get anywhere with Disney Customer service.

David If you work at TT.
Could you tell me how i can be a disney dev?

I know i need to finish school and stuff.

But i wanted to know what i would need to know.

If you still work for Disney i really want Test (of course u probley wouldnt know) i never got test yet ive been on tt for 2 years now.
I signed up when i first made my toon.

And still no responce.
Is there anything u could tell me?

I dont wanna get in trouble with this site.
I was just trying to help think of nice ideas that i could join.

Also what would you do if you knew a fansite that was breaking the disney rules? cause i know a site that is doing hacks (i dont hack)

I don’t know much about Disney (I know the lyrics to most Disney princess sing-along songs, which doesn’t count), so my reply can only be generic. However, I teach in Computer Science and have a minimal idea of what it takes for a student to get into the game dev business.

Only our top graduates get something in the Gaming industry. It is an extremely competitive area almost akin of being a rock star. How do one become a rock star? Not by taking courses alone! You need thousands of portfolio building hours for personal projects, pay attention to industry practices, be versatile in your skill set, etc. If you do this, taking courses will thus be trivial and you’ll get good grades. With a strong portfolio and a matching transcript, you have a fighting chance to get interviews. There never will be a guarantee that you’ll be a rock start, though.

One small pedantic comment: 21st century devs are no longer pasty nerds working in poorly lit basements and fed water and bread. They often work on any art form once reserved to the movie industry. If I were you, I’d get in the habit to write with your best possible grammar: it sounds stupid to say this but it can lose you a job/interview in a heartbeat.

Any “real game devs” think that I’m off on something?

bongo’s advice is excellent.

At the heart of it, the best way to work for a company like Disney, which tries to hire the best programmers and artists available, is to become one of the best programmers or artists available. It’s like the old joke, “Excuse me, can you tell me how to get to Carnegie Hall?” “Practice, practice, practice!”

So, practice. Develop your skills. If your skills lean towards programming, then use those skills to program games. If your skills learn towards designing artwork, then design artwork for games. (If you happen to have skills in both, that’s even better.) Make silly games, fun games, games for you and your friends to have a blast playing. Make little games at first, then maybe try bigger games. Use what you learn in your courses to help you do cooler things in your games. In the game industry, employers like Disney are more impressed by what you have actually done than by what courses you have taken.

If you’re suggesting that Disney make the game called Cogtown, well, I can’t help you there. Large companies like Disney aren’t allowed to accept unsolicited suggestions from outside. The reason is complicated, but boils down to this: it’s possible that Disney is already developing a game called Cogtown. (I’m not saying they are. I wouldn’t be allowed to say if they were or weren’t.) But if Disney came out with a game called Cogtown next month, and someone had written to them earlier and suggested they produce a game called Cogtown, that someone might feel that they deserved some payment for their idea–whether their idea actually had anything to do with the game or not–and try to take Disney to court and demand some money. Even if they don’t win the case (and they probably wouldn’t), it would be expensive for Disney to have to deal with the whole court battle. I know it just sounds nutty, but this sort of thing happens all the time. Large companies like Disney are particularly nervous about this, because people love to sue large companies, since if they win on the off chance, they can get millions of dollars–it’s like winning the lottery.

So Disney just plays it safe, and refuses to take any unsolicited ideas from anywhere. That’s why you can’t get anywhere with TT customer support, and that’s why I have to say “thanks for the idea, but I’m afraid we can’t accept it.” I’m sorry about that.

As for joining the test site, well, the signup list is pretty long, and it doesn’t move that quickly. You’ll get in eventually, but it’ll take a while. You might have better luck on the test site for Pirates, though, if you’re interested in that.

If you reported the hacking fansite to TT customer support, Disney would probably write them a letter and demand they stop.

David