I found a new modeller for Panda3D

Only the web version is made in javascript. You can download the computer version which isn’t in javascript.

I agree that it has Y-up, but all I am saying is that this is also there. I am not forcing anyone to use it

Having only recently joined this forum I don’t wish to upset the ‘senior members’ of this comunity but as a less than novice with respect to 1) Panda3D, 2) Python and 3) 3D in general (did have some experience of creating ‘toys’ with 3D Max back when most were in Nappies or indeed just the proverbial Gling in the eye… but in my ignorance I must agree with the creator of this thread,. I have downloaded a number of 3d editors and played with them to no great triumph.Never heard of Blockbench but will no doubt peruse the website …
I have only entered the world of Panda3D because of a (no doubt a heretical program called SweetHome 3D), I created a3D model of my house (Bungalow) and wanted to see if I could create a relatively enjoyable virtual walk through of said scene (well that and being now retired it’s an excuse for not being forced out into the Garden (hate gardening). So to the point, It’s only through a non confroming software package that I started investigating Py and P3D, I would therefore submit that the more people that use ‘Non Approved Tools’ the more people (may) be drawn into the weird world of Python.
I find it weird because it’s so loose - I was raised on COBOL, Fortran and a few other (now) archaic languages which strictly enforced variable declarations, but didn’t care too much about case. Where global variables were the norm, but having said that Py seems quite fun, if not intuitive. I will press on and maybe eventually understand why globals are not necessarilly global in Py (and I don’t mean they’re being gazumped by locals of the same name.
Oh, and why does it matter what language it’s written in ?
That’s my penny’s worth anyway, full support to panda3dmastercder from panda3DhowTheHell Do_I_DoThat
By the way Hello one and all.

Greetings, RichardM, and welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Hah, I remember that I felt much the same when I started in on Python! Coming in my case from C++ and Java, Python felt outright protean!

But I will say that I’ve come to appreciate that aspect of it, in truth.

I take it that this is in response to Pignon, above? If so, then I don’t know; perhaps they’re concerned about performance issues…?

Each to their own! I daresay that different tools will work for different people. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just want to say - there’s no intention of giving the impression that there are “approved” and “non-approved” tools. There are a bunch of tools (like Blender) that are popular and we know to work well, and so those are the ones we typically recommend to people who want to choose an editor, but I appreciate that they may not fit everyone - Blender is known to have a steep learning curve, for example. If there is another tool that suits your workflow better, more power to you!

Panda3D supports a lot of different model formats, so you’ll probably be able to export the model to a format that Panda3D can read, though sometimes it takes a bit more trial-and-error due to differences between exporters and formats.

1 Like

Thank you both for yourt responses, I am new to forums so forgive any formating or ‘protocol’ issues

First, appologies if I am posting this in the wrong area but (rdb’s) reply prompts a question.
The panda3D doc refers to the import of file types, (obj being relegated to Others). I can find no mention of how to save the contents of a (scene/environment) that has been created or ammended from the input files structure i.e. if the object file’s MTL file carries an illumination factor of 3 to 9 P3D drops it as it only seems to accept <= 2.
i.e.
newmtl FrontGlass
illum 9
Ka 0.14996 0.187821 0.219526
Kd 0.14996 0.187821 0.219526
Ks 0.5 0.5 0.5
Ns 120.0
Ni 1.45
d 0.5
I therefore edit the mtl file to change the value to 2.
this changes the Glass considerably.
Yes, this can be compensated for in the script / prgram but it starts to get much larger than necessary. (again I am a total novice at Python so I may not be approaching the problem with the correct solution) but this is all part of the learning curve.
I have searched the net for a solution i.e. exporter but have hit a brick wall.

1 Like