how best to make a 3D GUI?

A) Not too difficult, I don’t think.

B) I’m no expert at Panda GUIs, so I don’t know that this is the best way, but what occurs to me is this:

1. Selection of tiles.
    This is likely to depend to some degree on your situation, but for a 2D layer of tiles you might be able to get the world-space selected point using this method, and then do a little maths (of a sort depending on the shape of your tiles and your specifications for their selection) to determine which tile that point indicates.

2. The choice of GUI system.
    Panda’s built-in GUI system seems to largely work for my ends, but you may want to perform a forum search for other options - I seem to recall that other GUI systems have been offered at times.

3. The GUI.
    This step may depend on which GUI system you choose, but what I imagine is creating a single hierarchy of GUI objects and keeping it hidden until desired. Then, on click, find the relevant tile as described above, extract any desired data intended to be displayed on the GUI, update the GUI as appropriate, then place it at the mouse coordinates (presumably not the world coordinates) and show it. Once you’re done with it, simply hide it again until the next click.