Hello to all

I’m normally very much a lurker, but I thought I’d try to do something different and speak out this time.

I’ve been off and on trying to learn to program for several years now, and dabbled in C++, Java, C#, variations of Basic. I have a shelf full of books and do well until it comes to OOP stuff. And then I hit a wall. Appararently, I have a “procedural” mind. Which is one of the reasons I’m trying again with Python. Its said you can do a bit procedurally and “grow” into the OOP. I sure hope that’s true, because this is something I really would like to do as a hobby, but am tired of smashing into that darned wall.

Anyway, while I learn Python, I would like to tinker around with Panda3D. It looks like something I could (eventually) understand - at least moreso than Torque.

So far, I’ve printed the whole manual, skimmed the boards, and ran the samples. I guess its time to roll up the sleeves and work through the manual, page by page.

Oh yes, I have some videos to watch as well. On that note, if anyone is even thinking about making videos to teach ANY aspect of Panda3D and a simple word of encouragement would push you from the thinking about to the doing - consider yourself encouraged! Second only to developers who make this sort of software available to struggling noobs, the video and tutorial makers are heroes to me. I’m sure I speak for many when I say this kind of work is REALLY appreciated.

Well, its back to my lurk perch. I just didn’t want to get deleted as a spam-bot - but then again, they don’t usually write novellas, do they? :slight_smile:

Yep, we definately need more (video) tutorials.
The manual is far from 100% OK…
But there are few who are willing to write more tutorials and videos :wink:
If someone can point me to a screen-video-capturer for linux, i’ll be glad to make one.

By the way, you speak High-Elvish? :slight_smile:

dunno if this will help, but here’s how to take screenshots in Linux.

Not to be sarcastic or snide, but googling is definitely something akin to the most awesome possible information resource available. Just typing

led me directly to that, the first link.

linux-noob.com/forums/index. … wtopic=339 is a bit more detailed, might be more to your liking.

Anyway, I agree totally. I’m still wrestling with python and working my way towards Stackless (which apparently should work very well with Panda, but is rather mindblowing to me at this point in time.)

Something akin to “An Idiot’s Guide to Panda” would be nice… but then the professors would be out of work if things were too easy.
:stuck_out_tongue:

You can use wink
Wink is a Tutorial and Presentation creation software, primarily aimed at creating tutorials on how to use software (like a tutor for MS-Word/Excel etc). Using Wink you can capture screenshots, add explanations boxes, buttons, titles etc and generate a highly effective tutorial for your users.

Homepage: debugmode.com/wink/
Linux Download: mirror.kriebeltjesmarkt.com/wink/wink15.tar.gz

You can also use xvidcap
xvidcap is a screen capture application enabling you to capture videos from your XFree86 desktop for illustration or documentation purposes. It is intended to be a standards-based alternative to tools like Lotus ScreenCam.

Homepage: freshmeat.net/redir/xvidcap/4482 … ge/xvidcap
Linux Download: superb-west.dl.sourceforge.net/s … 4p1.tar.gz

There are a couple of others that are eather focused on gnome or kde personal i would use wink it was built for making video tutorials.

there is some gnome app… i forgot the name but it allows you to capture the screen, or parts of it and directly encode them into ogg vorbis (or was it ogm?)

The gnome applications name that you are talking about is Istanbu

Istanbul is a desktop session recorder for the Free Desktop. It records your session into an Ogg Theora video file. To start the recording, you click on its icon in the notification area. To stop you click its icon again. It works on GNOME, KDE, XFCE, and others.

Home: live.gnome.org/Istanbul
Linux Download: freshmeat.net/redir/istanbul/667 … .1.tar.bz2

Freakin’ great info guys :slight_smile:

This are definately points that should go into a (to-do) FAQ :slight_smile:

I wonder if these tools can capture full-screen apps picture-wise and in a movie. :smiley:

Btw: There are some Tuts for noobs in the forums… (Installation and first steps) - for everything else there are enough Python beginner tutorials out there that will suit your needs… :slight_smile:

Regards, Bigfoot29

They should all be able to capture 1. Fullscreen 2. Applicaton windows 3. Partial screen or application window.

Just have a look at wink it is proble one of they best gnu/linux desktop recording applications it also allows for the user to interact with the movie tutorial.

I’ve had problems with OOP, too.
Mainly because I didn’t see a reason to use OOP rather then procedural programming.
But Panda3D is compleatly OOP…

If you’ve read about OOP in Python you’ll finally come to understand it while using Panda :wink:
And someday you’ll wake up and ask yourself why you have had problems with OOP after all.

@caracal:Thanks! That’s just what I need!
@Ooka: Uh… i’m not that stupid… i know how to make a shortcut :stuck_out_tongue: but not a screen video capture.

Yep… these hints are valueable… I DO have to take a look at that when being at home :smiley:

Regards, Bigfoot29

:open_mouth: geez… therefore you need to know what a NOUN or VERB is…

Why has this world to be so CRUEL?!? :cry:

:laughing: yep. But I have to admit that I don’t follow these suggestions all the time :smiley:

Regards, Bigfoot29