games in progress

Hi, I was wondering: Does Panda has any built in way of tracking online games in progress, or is this something you’d have to do yourself?

I don’t think so, since it would need a general multiplayer networking stack allowing this.

And due to the fact that this general multiplayer networking stack (that would be needed) isn’t in Panda3D, you seem to need to code your own way to track the server status for games in progress.
Can’t be too hard to request a variable from the server like GAME_IN_PROGRESS=True|False :wink:

Regards, Bigfoot29

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I think maybe I wasn’t clear enough on what I was asking. I’m not talking about status from a server you’re already connected to.

Say you want to join a game, but you don’t know who’s on or who you could join. Is there any built in way to pull up a list of games that are currently being hosted that you could join?

thinks about it for a second

Hmm, I really don’t know anything about programming a multiplayer game, but as I type this it occurs to me that doing this would probably require having a master server to hold the list of games in progress. Is this correct?

Basically the problem remains. You need to write the code on your own since there is no basic multiplayer support - aka a working basic class where you just need to place your players models into and are up and running.

There is an approach helping with network issues. Sorry, that I don’t know who it was and how far he got.

Having a masterserver may help there since it eases programming a lot. But you could also use a p2p-way. Let each server get a list of the servers being connected - and then the client can query them itself. This removes the need for an masterserver (which can fail), but raises the programming stuff.

In the end it sums up to what I said already. Your client needs to query the server if there are free slots. If you are using a masterserver, the server can do this. But all in all you need to program this yourself. At least I haven’t seen a predefined function for that till now. :wink:

Regards, Bigfoot29