Frames per second

atm I’m getting a framerate between 35 and 60 in fullscreen mode, is this the usual rate you get with panda? If not, what IS usual and how would you improve it?

Atm each scene has about 15k polly’s in total, is this to much for panda?

Not meaning to offend the creators, I’m just wondering how much preformance I can get out of it. I still love panda3d :wink:

There’s no possibility of giving offense, of course; performance tuning is an important part of any application development. In order to optimize performance, you certainly need to be able to talk about performance.

That being said, performance tuning is very much an art, and there are a lot of parts to it. It is impossible to say what sort of frame rate is typical or should be expected for any given scene, because there are so many variables. The kind of computer you have, the operating system, the graphics card, the pixel size of your fullscreen window, the number of independent objects or nodes in your scene, the number of different textures, the distribution of your scene graph, and the amount of work you’re doing in Python, among many other things, all contribute to your frame rate.

One tool that is distributed with Panda that you can use to study and/or improve your application’s performance is PStats; you can read some about this in the manual and then start playing with it. Of course, it’s just a lot of colored graphs unless you know what you are looking for, and that comes with experience. But it can be a useful tool to determine where the largest part of your frame time is spent; and from there, you can try to decide whether it’s something that you can reduce or not.

That being said, 35 to 60 fps is certainly a reasonable framerate for any application (that’s about the point at which individual frames blend into continuous movement in the mind, so there’s no point in rendering faster). 15K polygons in your overall scene is low for modern hardware, but it might be all you can expect if your hardware is a few years old. Depending on your particular situation, then, it might (or might not) be possible to optimize your scene better to get more geometry onscreen at once.

David