Framerate limitation

Hello,

It seems with standard configuration, panda limits the framerate around 60.0 fps.
Is this a way to break this limit? Otherwise why?

In fact, I post another topic about librocket. As soon I show a librocket window, my fps decreases seriously.
I wonder if I start my fps higher, my fps could be good even I show librocket windows.

Thanks a lot

It’s not Panda that does it, it’s your GPU. It’s called vsync, and it prevents tearing of the screen. The limit is the refresh rate of your screen; it does not make much sense to draw faster than the monitor can refresh anyway (waste of resources).

You can explicitly disable it by putting “sync-video #f” in your Config.prc.

FPS is not a good indicator of how much something slows your simulation down. Instead, calculate the number of milliseconds that is added to your frame time (1000 / fps) or use PStats to determine this.

Disabling vsync will be unlikely to make your FPS go up significantly if it’s not at the limit, but it does help you to get a more accurate idea of how many milliseconds a certain feature takes up per frame.

1 Like
calculate the number of milliseconds that is added to your frame time (1000 / fps) 

How do you do that?

I am not confident with pstats, I will read the doc, to learn to use it, and have some stats, as you recommand to me.

Do you noticed performance problem with librocket?

From which framerate to which framerate does your performance drop when enabling libRocket, with sync-video disabled?