FPS Camera

Hi guys,
I’m new to Panda3D but it looks really promising all (and the tutorials are great!). I’m wondering how to make a FPS camera. I don’t think there is any built-in types for one, so would I have to use a modified perspective camera to do so?

Search around the forum a little, there are some examples regarding FPS camera and mouselook (which, I assume, you will also need). But it’s quite simple.

All you need to do is reparent your camera to the character (if you plan to have a model for it, mirror’s edge style, which is rarely the case) or just keep the camera at a fixed height above the ground (like 1.7 or 1.8 meters) and move it around. You will also need some collisions and stuff. And probably mouselook, which is also not built into Panda, but there are many examples, as I said.

As far as the perspective, you don’t really need to do anything with it, unless you find it necessary in your specific case. I personally changed the FOV a little bit from the default in my game, but that’s tweaking. As far as getting it to work you just need to position it in on an “eye-like” height and that’s it.

Here’s my FPP framework. It’s built around ODE so it plays well with physics too:
discourse.panda3d.org/viewtopic.php?t=7913

And here’s a script for FPP by Treeform (which uses the Panda’s built-in collisions).
discourse.panda3d.org/viewtopic.php?t=4068

Since you mentioned the examples, you can probably find exactly what you need in one of them.
It should be a matter of no more than 10 lines of python code to accomplish what you need in regard to camera placement and all the related settings.
I would give you more specific instructions, but you haven’t been too specific yourself and I am probably not the best qualified expert around here.
Try to accomplish something, and if it doesn’t work simply post here your issue, the community is VERY supportive.

Okay, I’ll try that, thanks.