Flagging an egg file without egg-optchar

I am making some models procedurally and want to store them, and have them loaded later without losing any information, all within my panda3d app [so I don’t think I can use egg-optchar from within it…or can I?].

How would I mimic “-flag”'s behaviour and mark/flag the file so that none of its nodes get joined when the model is loaded? I saw that what flag does is to name each EggPolygon with the name of its parent. Here:

[url]flagging everything in egg-optchar]

David’s last comment states that -flag just gives each EggPolygon the name of its parent. What is the parent of an EggPolygon? The group that it is nested in? Like this:

<Group> [b]MyGroup [/b]{
  <Dart> { 1 }
  <VertexPool> MyVertexPool {
<Polygon>[b] MyGroup [/b]{
    <Normal> { 0.0 0.0 -1.0 }
    <VertexRef> { 0 1 2 3 <Ref> { MyVertexPool } }
  }

So if each polygon in a group shares the Group’s name, the file won’t get optimized and no nodes will be lost?

I ask because I need to manipulate and change the textures on individual pieces that go to make the model later on.

Not 100% sure, but I think you can also use something like a or a tag to indicate that the node shouldn’t be flattened, so that you can later find it again in the scene graph.

Thanks, so setting both and to 1 should avoid flattening/joining and also should not change that group’s transform.