fbconfig error with OnscreenImage

I’m using Ubuntu (Naughty Narwhal), and for some reason I can’t seem to make use of OnscreenImage. When ever I do I get the following:

No suitable FBConfig contexts available; using XVisual only

I realise some have had this problem in the past but I seem to recall this was more of a global issue, whereas in my case OnscreenImage is the only thing that produces the error.

Anyone know what might be causing it?

That message would be produced by the code that opens a window or an offscreen buffer; it has nothing to do with the OnscreenImage code. I think you must be slightly misled by your program structure: you would see that error message whether or not you are using OnscreenImage.

It’s not necessarily a fatal error. It means that your graphics driver does not provide the more modern FBConfig interface to open a window, so instead Panda has to fall back to the older XVisual interface. There have been some reports of the XVisual interface support being buggy, though. Does it successfully open a window?

David

It loads windows fine, and running through the samples hasn’t reproduced the error. I finally tried stripping my code down to the manuals example code for OnscreenImage. While it seems nonsensical to me, that’s the only thing that makes the driver and/or Panda yell at me. I tried

gl-support-fbo 0
glx-support-fbconfig 0

in my config and it let me run the script but it was just a blank window. I should mention in windows 7 the sript runs fine
which I think would indicate a driver but I’m not real certain what’s going wrong.

What is the script in question? Are you sure your texture is a power-of-two size?

David

Well I tried it like this and it worked:

from direct.directbase.DirectStart import *
from direct.gui.OnscreenImage import OnscreenImage
from pandac.PandaModules import *
from direct.showbase import DirectObject

base.disableMouse()
props = WindowProperties()
props.setCursorHidden(True) 
base.win.requestProperties(props)

a = '1.jpg'

imageObject = OnscreenImage(image = a, pos = (0, 0, 0))

run()

But if I attempt to add any functionaly to the script it returns the error even with a properly based image

from direct.directbase.DirectStart import *
from direct.gui.OnscreenImage import OnscreenImage
from pandac.PandaModules import *
import sys
import random
from direct.showbase import DirectObject

base.disableMouse()
props = WindowProperties()
props.setCursorHidden(True) 
base.win.requestProperties(props)

global y
y=1

def next1():
    c=y
    b=str(c)
    a=b + ".jpg"
    imageObject = OnscreenImage(image = a, pos = (0, 0, 0))

class DoIt(DirectObject.DirectObject):
    def __init__(self):
            self.accept('arrow_up', self.up)
            self.accept('arrow_down', self.down)
    def up(self):
       #global y
       if y > 4:
        next1()
       else:
        global y
        y +=1
       next1()
    def down(self):
       #global y
       if y < 2:
        next1()
       else:
        global y
        y -=1
       next1()

h = DoIt()
run()

Do you have an example of a different script that runs successfully?

David

I was trying to multi-task when I typed the preceding script so it was a little nonsensical (although looking at it now it still has a pointless global, oops). Out of frustration I reinstalled a number of my nvidia packages in synaptic and purged some graphics related stuff I wasn’t using. In doing so, the problem has since went away.

I’d like to know what I did to cause the issue in the first place so I don’t do it again but right I’m satisfied just being able to run my application in both Linux and Windows :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for your time David