Faster generation of fan geometry to visualize laser

I am trying to visualize data from a laser range-finder. I got some excellent help earlier ( discourse.panda3d.org/viewtopic … highlight= ) and came up with the visualization and code below. Basically, the data comes in as a list of ranges, a start degree, and a degree increment, and I adapted some code from clcheung’s demomaster to procedurally generate the corresponding geometry. (Note: the map in the visualization is imported to panda separately from the laser data via an entirely different system.)

The problem is now that I need to be able to do it faster. The sensor gives me 10 readings a second, each of which consists of 1081 ranges. Even when I downsample so that I only take 1 reading a second and only 108 ranges per reading, the system halts noticeably (~.1 second) every time a new reading is rendered. Of course, ideally I wouldn’t have to downsample at all, but I really need to be able to get at least 270 ranges per reading with 2 readings per second. Any advice?

As always, thanks so much for the help.

def _getVisualization(self, ranges, angleMin, angleIncrement):
        vis = NodePath('Laser Visualization')
        self._getWedgeHalo(ranges, angleMin, angleIncrement).reparentTo(vis)
        self._getBoarder(ranges, angleMin, angleIncrement).reparentTo(vis)
        return vis

def _getWedgeHalo(self, ranges, startDegree, degreesBetweenReadings):
        """Make the laser lensor display vis.
        degreesBetweenReadings -- the angle measurement between each reading
        startDegree -- the measure of the angle between straight forward and the first laser beam.  default is 0.  Directly to the right is -90
        returns a NodePath to the wedge vis
        """
        pointList = self._getPoints(ranges, startDegree, degreesBetweenReadings)
        #copied from "makeEggWedge"
        data = EggData()
        vp = EggVertexPool('fan')
        data.addChild(vp)
        poly = EggPolygon()
        data.addChild(poly)
        v = EggVertex()
        v.setPos(pointList[0])#changed from makeEggWedge
        poly.addVertex(vp.addVertex(v))

for point in pointList:
            v = EggVertex()
            v.setPos(point)
            v.setNormal(Vec3D(0,0,1))

#make last point at 0,0,0
        v = EggVertex()
        v.setPos((0,0,0))
        v.setNormal(Vec3D(0,0,1))

node = loadEggData(data)
        np = NodePath(node)
        np.setTwoSided(True)
        np.setTransparency(TransparencyAttrib.MAlpha)
        np.setColor(0,0,.9,.4)
        return NodePath(node)

def _getBoarder(self, distanceList, startDegree, degreesBetweenReadings):
        """Draw Arc"""
        pointList = self._getPoints(distanceList, startDegree, degreesBetweenReadings)
        ls = LineSegs()
        ls.setColor(0,0,.2, 1)
        ls.moveTo(pointList[0][0],pointList[0][1],0)
        for point in pointList:
            ls.drawTo(point[0],point[1],0)
        ls.setThickness(5)

node = ls.create()
        return NodePath(node)

As we discussed in previous post, it is better to use the other two ways suggested. Dynamic model generation is too slow.

Since your requirement is just a 2D look, may be you can just update a 2D texture instead of keep generating models ?

If you really want to squeeze every microsecond out of it, implement the geometry-generation in C++ - it will be just a bit faster.

Simply using the GeomVertexWriter mechanism of dynamic geometry generation, rather than going through the egg loader, will probably make a huge improvement in performance, without having to abandon Python.

David

Fantastic! Thank you all so much. Switching from the egg loader to the GeomVertex writer completely eliminated the need for down-sampling.

You may try MeshDrawer for even more speed.