executing python at runtime

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could help me work out how to execute functions in python during runtime…(so I can tweak game play etc…on the fly).

I am using a python IDE called PyScripter and I am executing the script with the -i command line parameter. However when I try and execute a function in the python console …nothing appears to happen.

I feel that I may be missing some setting in panda to allow runtime interpreting of python code.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Kind Regards
Sam

I don’T quite understand your question.
Do you mean running the interactive python console while executing code from a p3d package?
Or starting a panda window from the interactive console?
Or… I don’t know.

With “functions” do you mean arbitary functions as in

def doSomething():
    print "hey"
doSomething()

?

And what exactly do you mean by “runtime”? The panda3d runtime, which runs p3d files or runtime as in state of python, or maybe as in “while panda3d is running”?

I am sorry if the question seemed unclear, please let me try again and clarify the question.

Yes, I want to run the interactive python console while executing the p3d package. The example you have given for a function is the sort of thing I want to execute…either as a method of an instance or a stand alone function. Either way I just want to be able to change in-game behaviors etc while Panda3d is running. eg. I want to use this so i can tweak AI behaviors while the game is running.

I hope this helps. Thank again for any help offered.

Regards Sam

I think what you want is an interactive console.
That is a small window to type commands in while your
game is running without having to break execution.

[InteractiveConsole (irc support & code completion))

Other interactive consoles have been posted to the forum before. Try searching for console.